PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingwizard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
<p>It’s not so much charring my rims as it is charring my thumb. Lol I use a zippo style butane lighter &amp; sometimes it moves toward my thumb &amp; I get a burned thumb though not real bad but it does hurt a bit for a minute or two. Lol

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
At my age, I could care less. A pipe to me is an object of utility....something to enjoy. When I kick, my pipes will either go in the garbage, or with some luck, they'll go to another pipe smoker. I'll let him worry about refurbishing/restorations. I won't abuse a pipe, but a discolored rim is not on my list of things to fret about. It can be reversed, and made to look brand new. Built up cake and residue on the rim top, probably protects the rim, so I don't remove it.
I used to go to all the Knife and Gun Shows. Some of those beautiful/fancy custom knives, you know, the ones with the shiny or hand-rubbed blades, were absolutely beautiful and expensive, and virtually useless. They're collectors items, fodder for bragging, and ultimately, wall-hangers that lived in a felt-lined case. Never to be used as intended, and something for the owners to worry about, to keep in pristine condition. Not for me.
Pipes.....I use them, don't abuse them, if discolored rims ain't your thing, store them and don't smoke 'em. Discolored rims, happen. Deal with it. :))

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's easy enough to clean the rim, and it'll look fine as long as it's not actually charred, but just sooted or lava'ed. I use dish detergent, hot water and a scrubbing sponge. A smidge of mineral oil after it dries.
Diff folk, diff strokes.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
You can mitigate it, but I’m convinced you can’t completely avoid it. I use a plant-based household cleaner (Simple Green), water it down, put a drop on my fingertip and clean off the rim. Works great and doesn’t affect the finish

Status
Not open for further replies.