PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Later on I would do the apple or berry Skoal teabags occasionally, which meant having my masculinity questioned if I was caught.
They had a really good vanilla but it got discontinued.
What's next? We will start growing plants in Dunhills?
I had a few of options with that pipe. Throw it in the trash, repurpose it, or give it to someone. I'm not about to give a pipe that badly drilled to someone.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I would focus on the smoking cadence and just have sweet tea, coffee, soda, anything to drink and replace the sugar. Very odd though, I used to smoke cigarettes, still smoke cigars and all kinds of pipe tobacco. I only get nauseated with high nicotine blends...I just grab something with sugar and slow the pace. Also consider how ventilated your smoke area is.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I know some friends who have a serious reaction to Perique. Even a small amount upsets the stomach.

As others have said, it could be a reaction to a component leaf or topping in the blend. Perhaps, you don't respond well to Cavendish tobaccos. Experiment with straight tobaccos and blends that don't contain "cavendished" tobaccos.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Also, I believe nicotine sensitivity wanes over time correct?
I hope not! It sounds like I’m one of the lucky ones that has a high tolerance. As the buzz comes on I just hold on and smoke on for the ride. Get a bit light headed but no nausea. It passes after a few minutes. That would be from GLP Jacknife Plug which I believe is quite strong. It doesn’t seem to make any difference to me what I ate prior or what time of the day it is.
It is interesting to read how this affects different people and how it affects the blends they gravitate to.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yep, nicotine tolerance will rise over time, something to drink and for the time being ,and better stay away from dark fired Kentuckies or Dark fired matured virginas + partial loaded or smaller bowl size may be advisable.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@Embers If I smoked a canon like you I wouldn't either lol. ;)

You can blame the Black Frigate.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@Embers Also, thanks for the info about blood sugar. I had no idea that is what caused the nausea and that nicotine did that. After reading that I did correlate the symptoms to that of a diabetic with a dropping blood sugar. Perhaps now I can avoid that unpleasantness and enjoy my pipes again!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You could try drinking a sugared soda while smoking.
Soda dehydrates you, not a good way to go to avoid nicotine overload.
As stated above, blends that get ya dizzy just make sure you've had something to eat BEFOREHAND and also make sure you're staying hydrated prior to lighting up. Continue sipping water through out the bowl. If you feel it coming on grabbing a chocolate bar is a good idea.
I went through this myself. For me all aromatics were completely fine, but when I got into the non-aros there were blends that would put me on my keester. I remedied the situation by prepping for the bowl as stated above and sticking with that blend. Typically for me after 3-5 bowls my body acclimated I guess to the nicotine level and it really didn't affect me any more.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For some smokers, it's not the nicotine that brings nausea. It's one of the components, be it a casing, topping or leaf. For me it may be Red Virginias. Still trying to narrow it down.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It packs more punch, so if the issue is nicotine it can make you nauseous. If the issue is not nicotine, it might still make you so if the tobacco itself doesn't agree with you.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
It may not be the tobacco. If this is a new pipe that you are having a reaction to, then it may be something with the pipe. If the pipe has been stained and you are in the break-in process, this could be causing the issue. Not so much what you are smoking, but more of what you are swallowing. If the stain is burning off, and you are mixing the residue with moisture, which is a natural occurrence when you are smoking, then you may be inadvertently swallowing said residue as it exits your pipe stem while you are puffing.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
If the pipe has been stained and you are in the break-in process, this could be causing the issue.
By stained do you mean coated?
If that's what you mean, I can't know anymore, since I scraped the (pre-coated) pipe to bare wood.
It's smoking great now.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
It packs more punch, so if the issue is nicotine it can make you nauseous. If the issue is not nicotine, it might still make you so if the tobacco itself doesn't agree with you.
It indeed packs a lot of punch. But I like it. I can't smoke 5 bowls of Irish Flake (which contains a great percentage of Burley from what I've read) per day, so that makes make me take it easier on the smoking habit.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
"By stained do you mean coated?"
Possibly, or it could be that the pipe was dipped in stain and then pre-coated. Or maybe some of the pre-coating was also in the shank. But it sounds like you took care of it and now the pipe smokes like a champ. Awesome and congratulations. No more agonizing over an issue that was hampering the enjoyment. Good Job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.