PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Okay everyone! Here is something out of my local paper (online of course) about living longer...add pipe smoking to the mix and you'll live to you're 100+ !!!
"People who drink moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee and are overweight in their 70s live longer lives, according to researchers at UC Irvine Institute for Memory Impairments and Neurological Disorders.
The researchers started a study in 2003 to look at what makes people live past 90.
They say participants in their study who drank moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee lived longer than those who abstained from either drink.
In addition, people who were overweight in their 70s lived longer than people who were normal or underweight in their 70s."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I can't eat what I want, drink what I want and smoke what I want, why would I want to live longer?
Amen
A short satisfying life beats the Hell out of a long bland one.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
When a reporter asked someone in New Orleans why they have some of the shortest lifespans in the US, he responded that actually, they don't...they have some of the longest lifespans when you consider they only get 2 hours of sleep per night! 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does anyone really want to live to 100+?
Not I. I'm already seeing too many things I loved growing up disappearing. If I live that long, I'll likely see the rest of it gone as well.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I'll be kicking around past 100 if I have anything to say about it. Can't imagine all of the beauty and the horror that is in that time. I'd cut my head off and stick it on a robot if I could.
I figure, by that time, they've got both the cure for cancer and the robot head thing nailed down. It's a good time to give it a shot...
And, if you still have your head, the pipe works, yes? See, you can't lose.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I figure, by that time, they've got both the cure for cancer and the robot head thing nailed down.
Both are probably nailed down already...or very nearly. But we the profane masses will not be given access...we've just been kept around to pay for it all.
So eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow...

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
So wait..there's a hidden cure for cancer and fat people live longer? I learn more every day. lol

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Philo- There's an optimist! I don't see why anyone wouldn't go for immortality. You can always pull the plug.
I think our robot overlords may be close to that one. I'm only assuming that some of the technology leaders are already robots.
And if cancer is cured, there's not much reason to ban tobacco anymore. Could be a true renascence in pipe tobacco still ahead for us.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I read this and realize how lucky I have been not to have loved "things". I've lost the usual family as I've aged, people I've loved but, I've gained a grandson and some wonderful memories. So, I'll just take life as it comes at me.
So, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow is yet another day to enjoy and do battle with. There are simply too many exciting unknowns, challenges ahead that I really wouldn't like to miss. I do like a good challenge. I start my day with the challenge of simply getting my right sock on, fighting the arthritis. That done .. well, off to the next. It's what my life is and I love every breathing minute of it. There is so much yet to learn and experience.
I do pity those ready to die, nothing left worth living for, writing off the last years. I hope I never lose the gusto and my zest for life! I will not go quietly into that ...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I start my day with the challenge of simply getting my right sock on, fighting the arthritis.
YES! I trimmed my toenails today. I will not go quietly in to the abyss... :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.