PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Merrell jungle mocs - step right into them. I wear them practically every day. An old pair that I prefer and a newer pair for church and impressing people. :wink:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I like Warren's approach. To envy the dead seems meaningless, as the dead aren't. They're gone nowhere. The way my life is right now with toddlers and to little sleep and never any time for anything, Death really isn't an option. Some day, maybe, well probably. A good friend of mine died at 26, another at 46, another at 96, they all lived meaningfull lives untill they didn't.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I start my day with the challenge of simply getting my right sock on
Socks stay on until the holes get too big then they become leg warmers;then a new pair of socks go on.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I think that people who eat healthy, exercise a lot, don't smoke and don't drink don't really live longer, life is sooooo boreing that it seems longer.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I too like Warren's approach in the aspect that he doesn't love 'things'. Beyond that, his approach ceases to work for a number of us. I won't criticise him, though, as I don't carry his burdens, so I can't really know how hard it is for him. Likewise, he or anyone else doesn't carry mine, so what the trout do they know that they feel they can pity me?
The thing is, issues like these are not only determined by individual struggles or lack thereof, but the approach we take depends a lot on our beliefs. If someone's a materialist, then it's understandable their fervent desire to stay in this world for as long as they can—rejuvenation treatments, wellness obsessions, trans-humanism, man-made immortality... bring them on! For once we die we just vanish...
There are those who believe in themselves, and that 'life is what YOU make it'. BS. As long as the world is shared with people, any of whom can be potential actors, even without knowing it, in your success or failure, life is not what you make it. Your best effort increases your chances of success, but never guarantees it. Even those who touted onscreen the mantra of 'no fate but what we make for ourselves' made a third movie to shew that the mantra is BS. Remember the definition of failure: when your best ain't good enough.
I'm neither a materialist nor a devotee of the American Dream.
Nor am I a pessimist, even if I seem to be at first glance. I know and declare that there's goodness in the world; alas, I also see that goodness is also being consistently eradicated through materialism, obsession with technology, government control, all kinds of politics, and much more, all in the name of a 'better world'. I've seen all "the taxing drudgeries that continually despoil all transcendence from existence until it can no longer be called life"; the subduing of people "by means of a pragmatic education and mechanical labour into the damnatory folly that lies under a glamorous pretence of wisdom and a factitious image of happiness"; and the "eldritch veil that obscures Truth, that replaces Beauty with a blasphemous idol, that makes of Love a trifle".
And, yea, I know where the dead go, and so I must correct my previous statement in the light of it, and I now say that I don't envy all the dead: only those precious few who die in God's pleasure, the ones who really get to RIP. I don't envy those who end up in the centre of the Earth for an eternity of suffering.
But alas, issues of life and death are inseparable from the realm of beliefs, i.e. religion; try as we might to veer the talk of them as far away from theology, we'll inevitably end up there. Which will inevitably get threads closed. (Which probably wouldn't be too bad a thing, as it would prevent further patronising.)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I did not mean to patronize you, olkofri. Well, maybe I did, but that was because your comment made little sense to me. I see now that it does make sense, and the fact that we do not share beliefs is the reason for my misunderstanding. I apologise.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've not tried to figure out the "meaning of life", I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts. Even some of more tragic things I've seen or been involved in were learning moments. But, by and large, life has been good to me. My expectations for my fellow humans have always been reasonably low so no real disappointments there. Hell, having low expectations means I'm sometimes favorably impressed by some of my fellow beings. I do prefer the company of my dog though. Any dog actually.
I just think life is a hell of a ride, better than anything Disney has come up with. I'd stand in line and purchase another ticket if that was/is possible.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
If we are going deep...in life we have choices. Most choices we make on our own but some are forced on us. Some people are able to rise to the call, some aren't or won't. I think that determines the quality of the man. Sometimes we must do hard things, things that some may say is bad. But in the end when we stand and are weighed, the best we can hope is the good marks outweigh the bad. Hopefully most people get to go thru life enjoying the "lighter side" and are never tested. Many never even recognize the battle of good and evil that is constantly going on throughout the world and that is probably for the best. If you are called, GOD help you to be strong and meet the need. The rest, enjoy what is bought and protected by the sacrifices of the few. Bless those who give their all for us. Our freedom, our lifestyle, our comforts are not free, are not a right and are not guaranteed forever.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I switched from laceups to pull on boots. Saves time and less pain.
They say Einstein had 7 sets of brown suits (don't know if its true or not) so he didn't have to stress himself deciding what to wear each day...and in the case of this thread, shorten his life. My cat wears the same fur everyday, but probably won't live past 13 or so...whatever the hell that means 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't mean less stress just less physical pain. Laces are hell on arthritic fingers.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know guys ... I looked death in the eye a couple of times, and I was faced with loosing people close to me quite a lot. We have some shitty ways to go out now days, so my take on it is that quality of life matters more than the number of years. I may change my mind on the subject as I get closer to my retirement, but for now ... Funny thing is that the way we go out and when we go out doesn't depend on us, so live a quality life every day. What does that mean? Well, each individual gives meaning to that, according to what he/she considers contempt to be.

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
I look forward to the day when I am old and wise enough to add something of value to a thread like this.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Does anyone really want to live to 100+?

If I'm somewhat active, still have my mind, able to take care of myself and still enjoy life...yes.

If I'm in a nursing home sitting in diapers staring out the window without the ability to process any thoughts or ideas...absolutely not.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I'm in a nursing home sitting in diapers staring out the window without the ability to process any thoughts or ideas...absolutely not.
Sadly, if you reach the above stage, you'll be totally unaware of any options and thus not sentient of your condition as compared to what it was in the past. So, you'll do just fine in that state blissfully unaware of your physical and mental state.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
il_340x270.634368457_r2ss.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.