How to keep your mouthpiece black and shiny?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I cover them with a little grease/wax (Murray Superiour hair pomade) after each smoke which seems to prevent discoloration. I heard there were special products for that. What can you recommend?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Once you have used whatever method you chose to get your stem nice and shiny, to maintain that shine (and to limit further dulling) I would strongly suggest wiping the stem over with baby oil (Johnson & Johnson). It works just as well as obsidian oil and is a heck of a lot cheaper. Just apply with a finger then wipe off with a rag or tissue...job done!
Regards,
Jay.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm not sure how I feel about polishing my stem with baby oil ... I did that 24/7 through pretty much all of my teens and there are just so many memories.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Initially I bought a small tube of pipe stem polish (think it was Dunhill), but when I learned more and got more into the hobby, i found carnuba wax to do the best job - although this is after many smokes. I don't tend to polish after each smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mineral Oil. The base of Obsidian, J&J Baby oil, etc. It's the real deal. Also great for your butcher block items, wooden salad bowls; food safe, no scents.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Cosmic turned me on to a jewelers cloth. One side has a very light abrasive and the other side is waxed
I wipe down the stem after every smoke. So far so good

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Food Grade Mineral Oil

No smell

Good for carbon steel knives and butcher's block as well

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSource-501333-Food-Grade-Mineral/dp/B015ZSNS78/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466171328&sr=8-3&keywords=food+grade+mineral+oil

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
++ 1 on the unflavored Chap Stick after each smoke. It contains an antioxidant which will, obviously, prevent the stem from oxidizing for those Vulcanite stems, plus it's intended use is for the lips. Also, it's easy to use, easy to carry, and it's better than messing about with some liquid. Just a very small dab on the stem and then simply rub it about.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I store my pipes in a temperature controlled subfloor vault located twelve feet beneath my home and I only smoke in dark, sterile, vented rooms. This keeps my vulcanite in tip-top shape... at least I assume it does... because it's too dark to really tell.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...because it's too dark to really tell."
No Nate, it's not too dark at all, it's a direct result of all that stem polishing you did in your youth :rofl:
You should have listened to your Mother!
Regards,
Jay.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
hmm, good ideas friends, I have plenty of baby oil, I will use it on my pipe stem today

Status
Not open for further replies.