PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scmkr

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
I'm not talking about "how do I smoke while clenching". I'm talking about the mechanics of holding the pipe between your teeth.
I know this may seem like a no brainer to some people, but I have an overbite, and I haven't found any way that doesn't stick out the side of my face (instead of out front), nor have I found a way to hold it stable enough that it doesn't move around when I move my head around.
How are you normally supposed to do this? Which teeth? Do you hold the bit with your teeth, or is that behind your teeth while you bite down on the stem? Is it your front teeth?
I don't like the softy bits, I can't even chew gum - makes me gag.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I choke up on the stem a little, so the stem held in place mostly by my back teeth. This way, the pipe is hanging out the side of my mouth but pointed straight forward. Some pipes jibe with my teeth better than others, and I find vulcanite much better for clenching than acrylic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hang the bit from your lower teeth and close your jaw just enough to make contact with the stem. More of a dangle than a bite.

A pipe sticking straight out front just looks... silly, to me. It puts the damned pipe right in your line of vision, and besides, it makes the person look like they have no idea what they are doing. Mine always hangs to the side. And, men in pictures always have it to the side. It’s more comfortable, out of sight, and I can just focus on reading or working at my bench, without having to look around the pipe. I can better forget about the pipe, and in forgetting, I tend to have more sublime smokes. YMMV
Besides, most people have some sort of natural overbite, at least normal looking people do. It would be precarious for me to try to hang a pipe out front, which is why maybe guys who do hang front and center look silly.
As to how, my eye teeth are used to hold the pipe straight as my molars lightly grasp the stem. Just be careful not to drill a hole in the stem with your eye teeth. A lot of guys do, and I guess it makes a seat for their eye teeth to better grasp the stem.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I haven't given this much thought. I just stick the pipe in my head the way it fits best and puff away.

That said, although my teeth line up well in the back I've a bit of an underbite in the front. I believe my premolars do most of the clenching and the pipe is thus always sticking out the side of my face. Sort of suck in with one side and puff out with the other.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have an overbite, as well.
I started with straight pipes, as that was my idea of a "proper" pipe.
My first bent pipe fixed that perception issue. They hang much more naturally and comfortably, for me.
I don't clench much, actually, at least not for extended periods. My hand feels compelled to interfere rather often.
When I am "clenching", as Duane and others have said before, it's often more of a dangle with the teeth closed just enough to catch the bit and keep the pipe from slipping out.
I find that the most natural position for me is roughly a 45 degree angle on either side, with the stem in close proximity to the canine teeth area. I just learned that those are also the "eye teeth" of which Cosmic speaks.
Stem composition and shape also factor in. Some just "feel right" in a clench and others don't.
jay-roger.jpg

EDIT: In re-evaluation, it's closer to straight than 45 degrees. More like 20-30 degrees.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I rest the pipe between my rear molars, usually no clenching as in bite pressure. If I'm doing something physical I'll bite down a bit to keep the pipe in position. It does sit to the side of my mouth a bit. What works for you will be determined by the condition of your teeth, size and weight of the pipe, and some other variables.
Embers nailed it, "I guess the best answer would be however it feels the most comfortable." Not every one can find a comfortable clench, only the chosen few! :worship:
Oh, I only smoke pipes which are bent to some degree or another.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Alde', you're such a mess.... :)
These days I have dentures, so not much clenching for me, but when my teeth were natural I had an overbite too, so for me clench was natural with either/both the lateral incisors &/or the canines, at about the 45° thing. To this day that's where I position it, almost always.

Dec 28, 2015
More of a dangle than a bite.

Duane, you have described my method exactly. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’ve never understood why anyone would “bite” their stems hard enough to leave tooth marks. But I suppose we are all different. As many others have said just do what feels right to you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve never understood why anyone would “bite” their stems hard enough to leave tooth marks.
Me either. The only pipes in my collection with dental indentations are some of my estate pieces. I even have a ten year old cob with a near pristine original stem. To each their own though. :puffy:

scmkr

Lurker
Feb 22, 2018
I only have one bent pipe and I don't want to clench it (not sure if I want to sell it yet).
The rest are straight. One in particular has bite marks all over because I can't find that perfect spot. I'll find something that's comfortable, but then when I turn my head it slides around. That poor stem.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A couple of my smokers, "house pipes", have a very comfortable canine tooth indent. It's an index point for me, the pipe just kinda slips into the right spot and all is right with the world as I read, pipe is pretty much forgotten until it has to be removed for a bit of port. Interesting book + nicotine + sedative = a pretty good evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.