How to Access to Posts I Commented Before?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That is the biggest frustration for me... the Pic sharing... how can facebook and instagram make it sooooo easy, but we are stuck in the 90's... software wise.
Consider the wisdom of simpler, low-bullshit, straightforward software.
Yes, there are fewer "wipers" to help you do simple tasks, but on the other hand, the environment is less controlling and you have more power over what you post.
Compare this place to Facebook, with its 10m lines of JavaScript nonsense crashing silently in the background, and all of its rules, and lots of cute animations probing your prostate with a prurient finger, and you can see why the "roll your own" style of website is still quite popular.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I understand. But I also understand that forum software isn't necessarily complex or expensive. I bet that there are enough members who would chip in (me included) to help with the conversion to a standard forum software.
Here is the post I just made in the 'Improved Search' thread. That 'search' is OK, but it is a bandaid with no sticky stuff.
----------
Thanks for this.
I just tried it and it sort-of worked. I got results for 'web' items. I couldn't find what I was looking for because of the truncated descriptions. Google issue there I know. But, then I tried 'images' since that would lead me to what I was looking for. There were 6 pages of images according to what the first page said. I didn't see what I needed so I clicked on page 2. 'No results' or something like that was the answer. Then the search was gone, no way to get back to the first page.
A good search should really be part of the forum software. I enjoy this forum very much. I don't want to complain. The forum content is helpful for sure. But for anyone who is new to the hobby, or anyone really, the treasure of the forum is the 'archive' of past posts and threads. If it can't be searched properly, it is crippled.

I understand. But I also understand that forum software isn't necessarily complex or expensive. I bet that there are enough members who would chip in (me included) to help with the conversion to a standard forum software.

Sure, sure, when this comes up, all I can think is that there are plenty of other forums out there using the latest forum technology already. What attracted me and keeps me here is that it doesn't change to that new format. And, many of us feel the same way. I have never had to search for a member using the stuff inside the... whatever that scary place is called, guts? When I want to find a member I only deal with what is right in front of me. A member from years ago... who? My mind only works in the immediate.
This is merely my own assessment, and not the opinions of management, the company, nor the sponsors.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Sorry Michael. Some basics (like toilet paper) are just nice to have.
Like I said, I enjoy this forum. I was only making suggestions. I hate change for the sake of change. I quit using a forum in my previous hobby because they chose to implement a stupid update that is just NOT what the members wanted. Oh well.
I have owned, helped with, moderated a lot of different places on the net. I was only making a suggestion based on experience in forum use.
Oh, see if you can find fishnbanjo's post about a pipe with a metal shank that goes through the bottom of the briar bowl. It was made around the first of July, this year. That is what I was looking for. That isn't an unreasonable request for a search that works. But, if nobody wants something like that, I guess it is fine.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Neat! Thank you!
Now tell me how you found it please.
And I see the old memory is old... the bowl is walnut on the pipe.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.