PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
So I sold and shipped a pipe through ebay... and the buyer is not happy and has requested a refund. I guess my lightly used is his heavily smoked. Also there is a blemish on the rim that I thought was part of the rustication- but he considers a chip.
If the guy is not happy then I will of course refund the purchase. But this is my first experience with this and I am asking for your advice on how to proceed.
How likely is it that I will make the refund and then not get the pipe back? Are there any safeguards in place to prevent that from happening?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Fortunately, I have never been in this situation...so my comment isn't scripture, but I believe ebay monitors the whole process as long as the buyer files the return appropriately through the site. I began a return a bit ago (eventually canceled it, so I don't know the whole process), but I believe ebay told me to expect my money within six days of the item getting back to the seller. Just take your time and read through everything, I think you'll be guided through. Sorry you have to deal with this!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yes, get the pipe back first. He is protected by eBay and you aren't. I've been screwed here as well. EBay will give him his money back regardless of what you do, seller be damned.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
How did he categorize the return? Was it simply a case of buyers remorse or did he file an "Item Not As Described"? If it's an INAD you unfortunately have to pay the return shipping and when people are not on the up and up that's the category they use to game the system. If he simply asked for a return without filing an INAD case he will ship it back to you on his own dime and you refund when it arrives. Make sure you state that you will only refund once you recieve it back in it's original condition. If he sends you a box of rocks - I can help you with that too but hopefully it will be a simple process. Unfortunately, there are no safeguards in place from eBay these days.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've had this happen, because people are all different when it comes to descriptors and condition. Tell the buyer to send it back and you'll refund the money. Definitely after you get the pipe. Welcome to eBay

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
The Buyer should start an "official" Ebay return process. He does this by going to his Purchase History and finding the purchase of your pipe. Then, way over on the right side of the pipe order is a link called, "More Actions."
When one clicks the More Actions link, you get a drop down box. From the drop down list, select "Return This Item."
By doing this, the Buyer gets an Ebay form that he must fill out and submit.
By doing this, a track record is started so, hopefully, no hanky-panky can result in the refund process.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
If there's more info or questions feel free to PM me. I'm very experienced in this area and happy to help.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
He did open an official return and selected item not as described... I have already been informed by ebay that I get to pay the return shipping.
Can I require that the pipe be returned in its original condition, or, am I stuck with the refund and hope it comes back?
BTW: it is a $25 sale so almost not worth the effort.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Since you have a return policy, when he ships back to you even eBay gets the shipping/tracking info and will send you an email once they get confirmation from the USPS that you got the pipe back and ask you to refund the buyer. Once the pipe is returned you simply indicate through the eBay returns system that you got the pipe back and there were no issues. eBay then will refund the buyer, including his return shipping fee. A simple process. And yes, there is an area where you can let eBay know that the pipe was not returned in the condition it was sent in. That's more complicated as you will have to provide proof which would include before and after photos of the pipe. On a $25 dollar deal though, I'd give the guy his money and move on down the highway. Not worth your time to worry about.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I was totally screwed by ebay and paypal over the sell of a lense a few years back. It was an immaculate wideangle zoom. I documented the condition with photos and I shipped through an ebay center. He did paid through paypal but using his credit card. He protested the charge through his credit card company. Ebay stuck me with the bill (over 2.5K). He got his money back from Ebay/paypal via his credit card protection. He kept the lense, deleted his ebay account and disappeared. So I had to pay Ebay for him to steal my lense. Never again. I might sell small, less than 100 dollar items. But nothing more or less.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Make sure you require that the Buyer sends it back with a Tracking # and that he gives you the Tracking #. That way, he and you, have some assurance that something was actually mailed from him to you.
As far as original condition, if you believe he damaged the pipe, take some photos of the pipe when you get it back. The, submit to Ebay your photos that show the condition of the pipe before you sent it to him and the photos of the condition of the pipe after you got it back.
Not sure how big an Ebay seller you are, but sometimes we just have to swallow a loss in order for the buyer to leave good feedback. I know it may not be right, but that's business.

benpipesmoking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2017
I had a bad pipe buy, on ebay by a seller named shiny something and it was a pain in the ass to get my money back. I waited weeks for the money, I sent the pipe back in 24 hours

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Shinypipes has the well deserved reputation of being the worst large volume estate pipe seller on Ebay. Pipestud is the best, of course.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I love looking at pipestud listings!
Thanks for the help! I felt confident enough after your comments to go ahead and accept the return. I don't have to refund until the pipe arrives so I am good with that.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Thanks for the kind comments, randelli. And I think you did the right (and easy thing). I like easy. :wink:
And highplainsdrifter, you made me blush. :puffy:
Pipestud

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Shinypipes has the well deserved reputation of being the worst large volume estate pipe seller on Ebay.
Also, Shinypipes has the well deserved reputation of being able to use photoshop professionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.