How Shallow is too Shallow? (Chamber Depth)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can get a longer smoke in any shallow pipe, whether the chamber is broad or not, with flake/coin/plug/and rope cut tobacco. Your pipe is nearly an inch deep, and that should be sufficient. Sooner or later, you might want a more standard slightly deeper chamber, closer to an inch and a half or more. For starters, this is fine and will always give a good short smoke or longer smokes with the cuts I mention.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I personally love that shape.. I have a similar Whitehall Algerian Briar that may actually have less chamber but of course rings like a bulldog around the circumference of the chamber. I've heard this shape called "bullfrog" or "UFO"

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Just wanted to circle back and give major kudos to Scott's Pipes here.

I contacted them about their prince shaped Burner pipe in black sandblast. I asked if I could please receive one similar to the one pictured on their item page (I wanted some brown on the shank where it meets the stem).

They said they would be sure to get me one that matches. Little did I know he would go on ahead and custom make me the pipe I asked for! It took a few days extra, but now I have a pipe made especially for me, for an extremely reasonable price.

VERY excited for it to show up in the mail. I'll post a pic or two if I remember to do so.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I've never had a gourd calabash which had a big enough chamber for me, which makes them into grotesquely expensive "tasters" for all practical purposes. Perhaps should I happen to become an owner of such again, I might try to make a second top-&-bowl for it with a deeper chamber in it, to swap out between display and smoking modes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've got my eye on a nice looking tomato shaped briar and the chamber is 22.5mm (0.89") deep by 19.5mm (0.77") wide.

Is that going to be problematic? I don't mind a shorter smoke time, but is the lack of depth going to cause me to miss out on any flavor, for example? Will it be incompatible with certain cuts of tobacco? Etc?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob
maybe depends on the tobacco. Some tobaccos really enrich towards the bottom of a bowl. And those blends with equal parts of five or more tobaccos have a more even flavor profile in a wider bowl. Otherwise then those exceptions nothing, and even those case the difference is still pretty subtle.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
most of the time I hear that about a pipe I think the person is being too sensitive and paranoid. That pipe is as suspect as smoking a regular pipe while plastered in Marijuan leaf patches.
With the cops here and the powers they were given as a result of the legalisation of MJ, we've reason to be paranoid. Aside from that, I really don't care what others think. And the room note would quickly dissipate any doubts anyway.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
With the cops here and the powers they were given as a result of the legalisation of MJ, we've reason to be paranoid. Aside from that, I really don't care what others think. And the room note would quickly dissipate any doubts anyway.
reminds me of that time in high school and I was dating a girl in a town over. We were sitting on one of her friends porches smoking them cigs me my first pipe. Four cop cars pull up in a semi circle around the porch and walked over in tough guy poss and then half way there they all stop and one of them sniffs the air turns around and tells the old lady it's just a pipe then they left. It was funny to me, guess you had to be there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the pipe referenced:

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Here's what I went with. Really can't go wrong. Handsome pipe, handsome price.
Burner – Black Sandblasted Prince - https://scottspipes.com/product/burner-black-sandblasted-prince/

Smooth-Prince-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.