How Shallow is too Shallow? (Chamber Depth)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I've got my eye on a nice looking tomato shaped briar and the chamber is 22.5mm (0.89") deep by 19.5mm (0.77") wide.

Is that going to be problematic? I don't mind a shorter smoke time, but is the lack of depth going to cause me to miss out on any flavor, for example? Will it be incompatible with certain cuts of tobacco? Etc?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Anything is better than nothing. I guess its up to the individual. I get hesitant below 1 inch, but I guess if you can keep an ember going for a few minutes then why not?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I generally prefer a longer smoke, so I probably won't get anything below 1.25" until I build up my arsenal a bit more, but I'd think that so long as you don't mind the shorter smoking duration, it shouldn't be a problem.

Here you go, Cap'n: .55" in diameter and .7" in depth: ?
Is that one of those Tattoo pipes?

I would also take the chamber shape into consideration. Is it a cone, like a funnel tapering to the bottom, or is it like a U-shaped bottom with straight sides? If it is a cone, I would probably walk away. I like my cone shaped chambered pipes to be at twice the height as the width. If it is a U-Shaped chamber, I would probably snag it if I was drawn to it.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I would also take the chamber shape into consideration. Is it a cone, like a funnel tapering to the bottom, or is it like a U-shaped bottom with straight sides? If it is a cone, I would probably walk away. I like my cone shaped chambered pipes to be at twice the height as the width. If it is a U-Shaped chamber, I would probably snag it if I was drawn to it.

Good thought. I'm not sure, as the site doesn't specify. It's a Scott's Pipe Burner, which I've been wanting to check out. I'm sure I could ask, but I'll probably just go ahead and pull the trigger since the price is nice.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I just looked at them.. look fine to me!
Pretty cheap for a new pipe.

Now that I've officially pulled the trigger, I can share the link. I really like the brown on the shank where it meets the stem.

I ended up contacting Scott's Pipes directly though and ordering through them. I went with a Prince instead of a Tomato. I figure it'll probably have a slightly deeper chamber, but no worries if it doesn't.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.