PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I was re-reading a Sherlock Holmes story last night. (A Case of Identity, I think) and it was specifically mentioned that Holmes kept a rack of pipes. Other stories stated that he matched his pipe to his mood; "An oily clay pipe that was both friend and counselor," "The Cherry-wood he favored when feeling disputatious." etc.
So. while not specifically describing a modern "rotation," Doyle wrote those bits in such a way as to imply that it was common to have more that one pipe, and vary it due to circumstances, as far back as the 1880's, at least for more upper class types.
I however, grew up in the rural South, and my experience with the old pipe smokers has been more the "use one till is sucks, then buy another" variety.

I remember my uncles joking about cobs being vagabond pipes or what kids played with. Think Huckberry Finn, homeless folks on the river. Even when Mark Twain refereed to them as Missouri Meerschaums, it was a joke that put down the pipe even more. Missouri being impoverished, and meerschaums being the pipes of kings, it was a belittlement that turned into a point of pride for the cob smoking vagabonds.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To try and track it by marketing efforts, what is the oldest "seven day set" that you guys know of? (And when I say guys I mean gals too!)

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I remember having this conversation with my grandfather once. To my recollection, when he took up the pipe during the 50’s he had a couple of pipes at the most. Each day he would pick a pipe for the day and grab whatever tobacco he had. The pipe would last him the day and the next he would do the same, pick a pipe grab tobacco and so on. Occasionally he would grab the same pipe used the day before. It all depended on what pipe he fancied for the day. Granted, he did take exceptional care of his pipes and when he died a few months back I was gifted with two old no name briars polished and reamed and a few pictures from the 1950’s showing him with the for mentioned pipes.

Personally, my smoking habits are much the same, I pick a pipe for the day and grab whatever tin is open and it will be my companion for the day. The only difference is that I have select pipes for select tobaccos so my selection of pipe for the day is dictated by what tobacco is available to me at the time (3 years unemployed has considerably depleted my cellar). What is interesting is that while my grandfather had given up the pipe well before I could remember, our take on the pipe are strikingly similar. Nature or nurture….

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
My dad smoked a pipe in the 1960s. His dad was a non-smoker. I don't think Dad had more than three pipes, all Billiards. He had a Cob, too, but I don't remember seeing him smoke it. I think Prince Albert might have been his blend. I remember the rectangular tin and the red pouches.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I've seen men use a piece of wire, and push out a solid tube of black smelly goo :::shudders::: Ick!
Egad!!
My Dad sorta chuckle about my collection, says back in the day it was almost a badge of honor to have a pipe that had a large cake buildup.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm certainly no historian but I think Cosmic and MSO pretty much nailed...now excuse me while I go count my pipes. :lol:

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
84 year old neighbor was a prime example of an old timer with a pipe being less important than smoking it. I watched him smoke the same pipe running around in the yard for at least a month. On the porch sitting with him, watched him try to carve out the cake with a knife and his words were "Too hard, will deal with it later" he threw that pipe in the yard ran in, grabbed another Dr. Grabow ripped open the package and started smoking again. I don't see how he did it, but....he did. The way I'm taking it, it has to be a personal thing....but I wouldn't smoke furiously out of an expensive pipe! If it's cheaper and continues to function and taste alright....up to you until you widen the collection. My current complication....too many bowls to smoke, too little pipes to rotate. So, going to keep a "beater" pipe around :)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I rotate my Cobbs. If I smoke a bowl twice in one pipe, it's a cob. But still rotate them. As far as my briar pipes, they rest for two days between smokes. I do a cavity clean every five smokes.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
At 66 years old, many of you will consider me a fossil. My Dad quit smoking his pipes in the mid 1960's. At that time he had about 10 - 12 pipes. I remember my grandfather had a rack/humidor next to his easy chair in his living room. The rack held 6 pipes, as I recall. My Dad told me when I started smoking pipes I should build up enough to have a pipe for each day of the week. The last conversation we had about smoking he asked how many pipes I had. When I told him about 30, he chuckled, but did not call me crazy.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I know an old codger that has the same 2 pipes on him at all times and is always smoking one of them. They are both black as coal and heavily caked and one has electrical tape holding the stem in place. He's the first face that pops into my mind when I think of a bonified pipe smoker. That being said I remember an Edward G. Robinson movie in which he chose a pipe from a 7 day set. I'm sure that things weren't too awful different back in the day aside from the fact that men smoked their pipes more than most of us do now.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My grandfather was the district attorney in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, a prestigious role to say the least. He had only 6 fine pipes and rotated them only when they smelled badly; he smoked a number of tobaccos, mostly English. My father had about the same number, but no where near as high dollar, but only smoked Edgeworth tobacco. In contrast, I have many fold more pipes and probably 30 different tobaccos. Times they do change...

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
This reminds me of the novel Some Do Not... by Ford Madox Ford, 1924. The protagonist's father, an old English country gentleman, would have his gardener fill up 12 pipes each morning and placed in a rose bush for him to smoke. With the English weather being almost daily rain, this is interesting but a terrible idea.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Spenser. Who is your grand father? John C. maybe?
My dad smoked a pipe in his just post college days of 1962-1970. I remember he had a rack with, perhaps six pipes. My grand dad smoked one pipe continuously for about six weeks and got another. Of course, Jim Blandings had a rack of pipes on the mantle.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.