PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Ha ha, yes! That look definitely becomes you.? Hat making is no easy feat, bravo!??? Do you make any to sell?

Thank you! More than a few people have offered to buy the hats straight off my head or try to commission pieces from me.
However- I want to make sure my technique and quality are perfect before I accept monetary compensation for my work. For now, millinery will remain a hobby.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
However- I want to make sure my technique and quality are perfect before I accept monetary compensation for my work. For now, millinery will remain a hobby.
Very respectable and commendable. Keep me in mind though, a Santa Hat in that style would be amazing!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
33 with the back of a 65 year old and the maturity of a 14 year old. I blame my years in the Prudhoe Bay oil fields for both. I have to be so professional at work these days that I overcompensate when I’m not. It’s not good.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I’m 51. Done my bit for country, had a heart attack at 47 (and told Old Hob ’not yet’) and I pay my taxes. So I figure I can do what I damn well want these days, and that includes smoking a pipe which I started a tick over a year ago.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thank you! More than a few people have offered to buy the hats straight off my head or try to commission pieces from me.
Commendable. Hat (or any other wearable) making isn't a piece of cake: I've seen videos and patterns for leather hats, but I reckon that's beyond me. I'll stick to making leather pipe pouches, LOL. Eventually, though, you have to remember the saying, "there's no such thing as 'ready', there's only 'ready enough' ", and take the plunge.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Were you a roughneck?
Yes and no. Land and construction surveying. Some days it was absolutely grueling (pounding hubs into frozen dirt with a sledge all day). Other days it wasn’t so bad (walking tundra doing topography surveys or standing behind a total station all day).

Either way, 7 day weeks, 12-18 hour days for weeks (sometimes months) on end in one of the harshest environments in the world. Certainly not the words toughest job, but it was no breeze either.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I'll stick to making leather pipe pouches, LOL. Eventually, though, you have to remember the saying, "there's no such thing as 'ready', there's only 'ready enough' ", and take the plunge.

That's a very valid point. Do you sell your pipe pouches, then? We had a thread on pouches and bags not so long ago- I bet a few here would love to see what you've made.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's a very valid point. Do you sell your pipe pouches, then? We had a thread on pouches and bags not so long ago- I bet a few here would love to see what you've made.
A bit of a prototype: New Pipe Pouch (Pic Not-So-Heavy) :: Pipes Accessories - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/new-pipe-pouch-pic-not-so-heavy.72172/#post-35988430

Waiting for the supplier to restock leather. The local tobacconist might be interested. I already sold him a couple dozen English bridle pipe rests. ?

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
I was 21 last year. Will be 21 next year. And will be 21 in a 100 years. ?

It's a good age to be. When I was 21 I decided I could happily stay that age forever, I'd never put stock into that magic number but it truly did mark a distinct transition for me—not quite the entering of adulthood but childhood's end for certain.

Now at 34 though, I wouldn't trade the confidence, self knowing, and ever-unfurling wisdom that comes with the additional years; looking back, 21 is just too green. Besides, I can almost grow facial hair now!

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.