Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

withnail

Preferred Member
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I don't plan on bidding on these eBay items, but I was curious to know how old they might be. They are obviously a little different to the current style of MM Corn Cob pipes available.
http://bit.ly/supbI7 - This one has a bamboo stem and

http://bit.ly/u0QAX5 - This one has a diamond shape shank and cover.
As always, I'm interested in pipe history.

jchaplick

Preferred Member
May 8, 2011
those are quite cool, personally i am no help to you because i have no idea, but they are cool

tiltjlp

Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The first one doesn't have a bamboo stem, but a reed stem. Both probably date from the late 1940s through the early or mid 1970s.

nsfisher

Preferred Member
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
by the way, was at antique barn today, an i do mean barn, he has 4 floors of stuff there, i asked for pipes an he said he had couple boxes of em he would have to find, gonna call me tomorrow. Needless to say; i am very excited. gotta git wife to set me up for pictures on here cause i definitly buyin some of em

pstlpkr

Preferred Member
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
They do look very cool.

But, I have reservations about the capped one.

I think that the cap was probably added at some point.

withnail

Preferred Member
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you for the information on those - I did wonder if the second one had been altered at some point as it looks so different from any MM Corn Cob I have seen before. Pity I can't afford to bid on anything until after Christmas!

igloo

Preferred Member
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Withnail the wind cap is the same one I have on a Amphora . It is pretty cool as it has a hing and is built like a car cigarette lighter with a coiled spring .So you can place a safe bet that it was added .

lonestar

Preferred Member
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
John (Tiltjp) has it right, but I might narrow it down a bit to 1950's to mid 60's based on the finish.

The first one would be a good buy at about $10 (american) the second one looks smoked and the lid is definitely added.