PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
For people that use filters:

How many times can a 9mm charcoal filter be used before changing? Ive been throwing them away after every bowl but Im wondering if this is over kill, especially since they're not terribly cheap.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I change them after each smoke as they are wet and all gunky but I've read others reuse them 2 - 3 times.
I buy them a thousand at a time from Germany and they work out about 7 pence each which considering I probably only smoke 10 to 15 bowls a week isn't too bad but if you smoke a lot more I could see how that could add up.

Chris.

Reactions: Worknman

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Every time.

“every couple of smokes” is horse-shit IMO. Unless you are smoking a tiny bowl of some dry tobacco.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I change them every time. I wouldn't care to use the same one for the same blend if it wasn't too wet or have a nasty smell. Ordering the biggest packing can save some bucks.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I think they can be used 2-3 times. In order to reuse them I would want to take them out and let them dry but don't know where I would do that because they have a strong smell. As is, when I use filters, I tend to only use them once. One day when I have a shop or shed that may change. I don't like chucking so many filters in the bin after a single use.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I change them after each smoke as they are wet and all gunky but I've read others reuse them 2 - 3 times.
I buy them a thousand at a time from Germany and they work out about 7 pence each which considering I probably only smoke 10 to 15 bowls a week isn't too bad but if you smoke a lot more I could see how that could add up.

Chris.
Would you mind sharing where you get them for that price? I buy the Big Ben on Amazon and cheapest they have is 200 for $34 which is about $.17 a piece.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Would you mind sharing where you get them for that price? I buy the Big Ben on Amazon and cheapest they have is 200 for $34 which is about $.17 a piece.
I'm in Germany. I don't always use filters but when I do I like the Stanwell filters. 200 of them are €12.90 which is about $14 at this site (Estervals Pipe House): 9171

Jun 9, 2018
England

I use the Stanwell 9mm filters which I've personally found to be the best. I get them off ebay from a German seller who does them in 200, 500 and 1000 lots, I just checked and 1000 are €69.90 or about $77 plus $17 p&p. So they'd work out about $.9 each filter.
I have used the seller (ideal03) twice without problem but YMMV of course.
Hope this helps.

Chris.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
To the OP, 3 seems a pretty good quoted average on the websites I buy from but they also say 'when the filter turns brown' I guess because not all bowls are equal, so this might be a better guide

I'd say that changing every time is under-using them a tad and (obviously) you can easily half your use/cost just by changing it to swapping it out every other smoke

Usually its three for me before I change it & I base that decision on what the filter looks like rather than amount of smokes

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I use them once. I bought my first 9mm pipe only a few months ago. When I run out of the charcoal filters, I think I’ll go to to the 9mm Savinelli balsas instead

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I change them after every smoke. Heck, even during mid-smoke: either the Dr Perl's filters sux or I got a bad batch, because they immediately start imparting a plasticky flavour to the smoke that totally annihilates all flavours from the tobacco. :mad: Too bad I got a box of 180 of the things: it's practically full.

I've been smoking my Vauen Basic with an adapter due to this problem, and not smoking my Quixx at all because the adapter is too long for the latter. I've been wanting to try balsa but @ $40 USD (~$53 CAD) plus shipping for a box of 200 I've given them a miss heretofore.

Status
Not open for further replies.