How Often Do Threads At PipesMagazine.Com/Forums Influence Your Smoking Habits?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The friend that turned me on to the pipe also turned me on to forums. I've learned a great deal from others and have also had a place to ask questions, of which I had many during the first years.I still learn from forums, and even though I don't agree with everything others advocate, what they think makes me think.

Dec 28, 2015
Less often than it influences the music I listen to, shows I watch and my drinking habits. Don’t get me wrong, I have discovered a lot of great tobaccos from this forum but the first thing I look for every time I log on is the “what music are you listening to” thread. But maybe that’s just me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
cigarmaster has it nailed. Keep an open mind and one can learn forever. I'm not the blend testing type, my likes are pretty well set. Yet, every now and then, someone writes something and I'm off to see if such works for me.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I am influenced by this site most in that I feel as if I need a pipe before or soon after reading threads on here. I think I would not smoke as often without this forum. Reading the thoughts and stories from fellow members is enjoyable, and sharing a bowl in time helps me to have a feeling a camaraderie.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cigrmaster, I wholeheartedly agree, I just meant that when starting out this forum and those in it can get you off to a good start discovering what you'd like. A seasoned pipe smoker would have already gone through those "growing pains". :)

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Information on technique ( I needed a lot of help ) and tobacco reviews got me here. The sense of camaraderie keeps me here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I came seeking advice on repairs, and stayed for a dozen reasons, including camaraderie. Not much influence on day to day smoking, but without this forum, I'd never have gone to a pipe show, nor taken part in the tobacco crawls of a couple years ago. I'd have missed out on some great blends, and the re-introduction of Smyrna and Bengal Slices.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
This site has caused me to step outside my comfort zone and try different tobaccos and carvers.

It also reacquainted me with the simple cob that I started out with many years ago.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve been lurking here for many years. I need to stop being a lone wolf. Yes, this site is a great community and it influences me. Sometimes I feel like I know everyone here only because I’ve followed Y’all for so long. Many (many) pearls of wisdom if you pay attention.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I just looked at my stash of tobaccos and I seem to be able to connect certain forum members to certain purchases. So, my answer would be that the forums have shaped my preferences a lot.
Here's a good example:
The OP = Royal Yacht.
Never would have tried it if Deathmetal hadn't written so much about it. Now it's possibly my favorite and I own many, many tins.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
How Often Do Threads At PipesMagazine.Com/Forums Influence Your Smoking Habits?
Very frequently and significantly. Since the time I was just looking into taking up pipe smoking, I always seemed to end up on this site. It didn't take long for PipesMagazine.Com/Forums to become my "go to" site for reliable pipe smoking information; a virtual gold mine for the newbie crowd. Over the years, this site has become as much a part of my pipe smoking enjoyment as the pipes and blends themselves. I send out a big thanks to all those, for better or worse, that participate, as this community always has something to offer: everything from facts to fantasy, from comedy to tragedy, from mystery to drama and much, much more!

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
More often than not this forum and the tobacco reviews site influence me in this way- when I see a tobacco I think I'd enjoy, I'll obtain a tin. If I like it, I then start looking for related tobacco's that folks like(if you like A, you'll love B). I've been able to expand my experience this way and find many tobacco's I might have otherwise overlooked. For instance, and I can't remember exactly how this happened, I got from OGS to Wessex Burley Slice this way, and discovered that I loved Burley Slice. I tried maybe 4-5 other flakes between these 2 to arrive at this point.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
100%
Pipesmagazine has has opened my senses to a wonderful new world of different tobaccos. From the early 80s till a few years ago, I only smoked what my local cigar shop offered in the jars. Most likely Lane products. Now with your reviews and suggestions, I have enjoyed an uncountable number of new blends and I keep finding more with each suggestion you folks make. Thank you Pipesmagazine for a great forum and thank you all for the suggestions and fellowship.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
This community helped me out of my forced hiatus from pipes. The generosity of folks here as well as the knowledge has helped me through a tough year.
And, I live vicariously through seeing everyone's pipes. I will one day replace my Dad's and Grandad's Dunhills destroyed by my ex. Or at least my birthyear. But until then, I will keep learning about proper pipe smoking, tobaccos, and seeing the magnificent pipe collections here.
Happy New Year!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Not really but then occasionally something on here will raise my interest to a point where I say ghosh I had better try a tin of that stuff.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I the past year these fourms have influenced me by introducing a couple new pipe makers/artisans I was not familiar with before. And a few new pipe tobacco blends to try out.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The Forum has aided me greatly in all things baccy. The members are very helpful, knowledgeable and don't mind answering the same questions 2,386 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.