PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
This is the worst possible way anyone should be filling his pipe. As you roll your tobacco in, it will get pressed in the middle but loose on the edges when it should be the other way around, that is, loose in the middle and pressed on the edges. Also, if you light your pipe at an angle you will char your rims.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs&x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534

Jan 8, 2013
I've gotten good results using this method in the past. One of my Petersons for example, seems to smoke best when I load a ribbon cut tobacco in this manner.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I layer, have for years and the cut is not a consideration. The appearance of my pipes are also not much of a consideration so, in the wind I tip the bowl to light. When cleaning, on Sundays, the carbon just wipes away.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This is the worst possible way anyone should be filling his pipe.
Well, to say that is the worse way is actually not true at all. I've only used it a few times and it seems to work out quite well with a ribbon cut tobacco. Other than that, I find that the three layer method, no matter what the tobacco is, works out just fine for me and always has. I'm old, stubborn, and above all... lazy. Whatever the tobacco is I pack them all the same way and I'm a happy camper as long as the shit stays lit in a relative proper manner. :wink:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I may have to give this method a try in my pipes that struggle with ribbon cut tobaccos. I would imagine the fellow in the video knows of what he speaks.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I use this method on a couple of my smaller cobs, as only my pinkie fingers are small enough to get into the bowl to either stuff-and-puff or use one of the layering techniques. Works like a charm on those pipes, actually.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I've actually had a couple great smokes with this method and a ribbon cut. Any other cut doesn't work for me

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I use this method quite often. Leaves only fine white ash in the shape of a spiral. Works every time.
EDIT this guy in the video is great. I'd love to have a chat with him

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I stand my opinion. If you don't set your beard on fire, you have done alright. But some ways are better than others.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I layer as I said above. In the interest of being neat I usually load by putting the bowl into the pouch or jar and pushing a bit of the blend into the bowl, tamping lightly, repeat tamping a bit tighter and then a third layer with an even tighter tamp, test the draw and light. I find a have to vacuum less when I don't transfer tobacco from the container to the pipe. I guess the adage is right: The right way. The wrong way. My way or the highway.
AS an aside: Back in the day a "pro" was someone who charged money and we coppers strove mightily to keep the pros in a certain part of town. And, as long as they didn't "roll" the "johns" we pretty much left them alone.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I stand my opinion. If you don't set your beard on fire, you have done alright. But some ways are better than others.
Well, I am not asking you all to set your beards on fire am I?
photo26_zps139b8214.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I believe "self-immolation" could be an indication that one has not as yet perfected his pipe igniting technique. However, let's not totally discard, without first trying, the idea that a bit of an accelerant, charcoal lighter, gas, etc., applied to the bottom of the bowl before filling might be just the answer for those that seem to be unable to get an even and continuous burn. In my experience, even after a very short smoke, there is little to no dottle left in the bowl.

Mar 1, 2014
I've been having decent luck just grabbing a bunch and shoving it in the top. As long as I'm shoving in the right amount it seems to get a decent pack.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've tried the method in the video, and for ribbon cut, it works pretty well. (doesn't he make it look so easy?)
It packs too loose, so generally I pack more in the top to get the right draw.
I generally use the same method as Warren, which could be considered one of the many 'old codger methods'.
I usually load by putting the bowl into the pouch or jar and pushing a bit of the blend into the bowl, tamping lightly, repeat tamping a bit tighter and then a third layer with an even tighter tamp, test the draw and light.

Status
Not open for further replies.