PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Yep Jorge your "absolute" opinions once again strike, one would have thought you learned from your first post. Apparently not. I also use this method often and on stubborn blends and it works very well. Generally I'll just "stuff and puff" but on a ribbon cut this is very effective for me and many new pipers at our club use this method to complete their first good smoke.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
As you roll your tobacco in, it will get pressed in the middle but loose on the edges when it should be the other way around, that is, loose in the middle and pressed on the edges.
Curious to hear some reasoning here.

unclesam54

Lurker
Nov 12, 2014
I have Tried in a my smallest and largest bowled pipes. For me i had better results with the smaller bowl almost to my liking tightness wise, but the larger bowl i struggled with to get it right, ended up pulling it all out and packing it my way.

Jan 8, 2013
I felt like a Monkey humping a football. A deflated ball at that.
I believe that would be called a Brady Ball :rofl:
Jorge... I gotta say, I love the burning beard picture. It gave me a good laugh.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just fill my pipe until the tobacco has around the same springiness of a stale spongecake. Burns well for me.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Curious to hear some reasoning here.
Who is that dude in your pick? Is that a picture of Immanuel Kant?
I would imagine the fellow in the video knows of what he speaks.
I don´t know how to put this mildly, but thinking for yourself won´t hurt you.
Yep Jorge your "absolute" opinions once again strike, one would have thought you learned from your first post.
I don´t know who you are, but thanks for thinking of me.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
It's Kant, yes.
What's the logic behind tight at the sides and loose in the middle? Seems like an even pack, laterally speaking, would be better. But I wouldn't make such an assertion because I have nothing to back it up.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I just grab a bunch of tobacco, shove it in, press it down until it's still springy and below the rim by about a quarter inch. Charring light, tamp, re-light, and enjoy.
I don't understand turning packing, smoking, and cleaning into a huge, complicated pain in the ass.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
Worse ways to load your pipe:

1. Stand across the room from pipe. Throw handfuls of tobacco in direction of pipe. Smoke whatever ends up in bowl.

2. Leave tobacco in tin. Smash tin into bowl of pipe.

3. Place tobacco in house. Set house on fire.

4. Light tobacco, then pack.

5. Use Mixture No.79

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ Frank - That pretty much sums it up in my opinion. After all, it's not rocket science so why try to complicate things when it's not necessary. Much too much analyzing the process and over thinking. Smoking a pipe is supposed to be relaxing and not become a some type of convoluted chore.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
RnPnoZc.jpg

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Worse ways to load your pipe:

1. Stand across the room from pipe. Throw handfuls of tobacco in direction of pipe. Smoke whatever ends up in bowl.

2. Leave tobacco in tin. Smash tin into bowl of pipe.

3. Place tobacco in house. Set house on fire.

4. Light tobacco, then pack.

5. Use Mixture No.79
Well, with the exception of #5 ... Anyway, I'll be in the noob - I mean beginner section again... :P

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
+10 vfefrenzy. Awesome list. I would add "6. Pack tobacco as mother-bird feeds baby-bird" and "7. Load loose tobacco in large caliber barrel, point gun at desired bowl target, fire.
+100 danielplainview! Great photo work

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
@mephistopheles I actually haven't tried it, but comedy is about knowing your audience.
@pipebaum81 - Nice additions, particularly the second one.

Oct 12, 2014
----I usually just grab a handful of tobacco and throw it in my fireplace along with a few hundred dollar bills.----
I believe this is called the "incense" or "room note" method. :)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Follow up: I tried this with Carter Hall and Half & Half. The results were OK, but not as good as I get from my usual methods. I am pleased to report, though, that my beard was not even slightly singed.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Frank and Phil nailed it.. I understand the ritual of preparing a pipe for smoking but some folks take this to a whole other level. Just pack it how you like and smoke what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.