PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Soon friends I will be in the market for a new pipe. I am wondering what is the maximum price once should spend on a pipe? I am looking at spending no more than 200.00 for a pipe. My question if all else being the same. Most of the pipes I own are all estate pipes and never spent more than 60.00 for one.
so how much do you comfortably spend on a pipe?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Find what you like, then figure out how to afford it. There are still lots of banks with bad security.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All a function of assets, income, age to a degree, alternate uses for "excess" money, and one's own druthers. So, yeah, a few hundred bucks is not a stretch for some. If you're rich like Jesse, who throws down C notes like they were Washingtons, several K per bowl is nothing. Me, my tops is $400 for a hand carved pipe by Gustavo Cunha and about the same for a Scotty Pierson and a Ryan Alden.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My collection ranges from $3 to $750. Most do not exceed $150 though. Buy what you can comfortably afford, and what suits you personally.

Jan 8, 2013
My collection ranges from $3 to $750. Most do not exceed $150 though. Buy what you can comfortably afford, and what suits you personally.
What he said. :clap:
I am looking at spending no more than 200.00
some great pipes can be had for around that price, so if you're comfortable spending that much for a pipe, then by all means do so. If not, then some great pipes can be found for less. The great thing about this forum is, you can mention a brand and make of pipe and someone here can probably give you more information on them. After weighing all the pros and cons it can help you make a decision on if you want to spend the money on that pipe or not. Find what works for you, financially. Anything over that is a nice treat for yourself from time to time. But I can tell you I have some wonderful pipes in about the same range as Chasingembers (far more lower cost than high for me though), and a number of my lower cost pipes smoke as well (sometimes better) than my higher cost pipes. Most importantly, the pipe is for your enjoyment, not bragging rights.... although that's ok too :mrgreen:

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
There was a time when I would comfortably spend $30.00 on a pipe. Not too long ago I was comfortable spending up to 1000.00. Then I found Ryan Alden, BST and Chris Askwith for new pipes, 275 to 350? And a few high endy estates.
I don't think I'll spend more than 500.00 ever again.. But I can get A LOT pipe for that kind of money.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Most importantly, the pipe is for your enjoyment, not bragging rights.... although that's ok too
Yeah, don't feel like you have to satisfy others with your pipes. I have a Weber that I paid $35 for that can keep up with my higher end artisans. You'll be welcomed by other pipe smokers just because you're a pipe smoker.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Yeah, don't feel like you have to satisfy others with your pipes. I have a Weber that I paid $35 for that can keep up with my higher end artisans. You'll be welcomed by other pipe smokers just because you're a pipe smoker.
You've got that right @chasingembers! I have an old Dr Grabow that smokes like a dream! :puffy:

I already have way more than I need for a rotation, so all pipes that I buy from here on out are merely for aesthetics. Plus, I know that a $50 has just as much of a chance to smoke just as good as a $500 pipe, so any new ones that I pick up are for reasons outside of smokability. So, if I find a Becker for under $200, sure, I will buy a cheap one. But, sometimes I find one that is beautiful enough to spark me to put it on layaway.
Funny how someone would see a $300 pipe as being for the "rich", but then they spend a ton of time hear discussing pipes. Then, they buy a pair of eyeglass frames for $500 or a new phone or ipad or laptop for that or more. And, an electronic device has a life of about two years, max? But, $500 on a pipe is ridiculous to someone who is passionate enough about pipes to join a forum?
I'm not directing my questions or angst at anyone in particular, just something that I've noticed about the forums from over the years. Why spend years on a pipe forum with some of the worlds greatest pipe artisans and collectors and only ever buy corn cobs? I mean, I "get" why people like them. Sure, sure. I even have a few. But, if smoking is just a utilitarian thing for you, then aren't you bored with a whole forum full of enthusiast about pipes, people that see pipes as something "more"?
If quantity of pipes is more important, then you can build a 100+ collection of pipes for $50-100 a piece, maybe more if you have more income. But, if you are looking for quality in aesthetics and the style, then I believe that a pipe is worth saving for, or putting on layaway.
I would never be able to afford a Lamborghini or Porsche in my entire life, but it is feasible to be able to afford the Lamborghini or Porsche of pipes by saving up, maybe put off buying Starbucks or donuts for a few months.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But, if smoking is just a utilitarian thing for you, then aren't you bored with a whole forum full of enthusiast about pipes, people that see pipes as something "more"?
No, because it's a good group of people (most of you!) and there is a lot to learn. This forum is more than collectors. There are probably several groups here: hobbyists, collectors, cigarette refugees, people looking for others who share their interests to socialize with, sociologists studying primate behavior, psychologists studying abnormal psych, etc.
For me, smoking is a utilitarian thing, but it's also like cooking: even the utilitarian must have a flair to it, or it gets dumbed down into pure utilitarianism like everything else on this planet, which means you go from Black Sabbath to Pantera, from Bruckner to Beyonce, from Austen to Eggers, from Nietzsche to Osteen, and so on.
Also, I enjoy watching the pipes you all buy. I already have one area of my life where I take care of ornate little objects, and so for me, pipes are old school: use and enjoy. Tobacco growing and blending, that is more interesting to me, and at some point when I am configured to do more with it, I plan to.

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
My $5 cob smokes better than some of my $200+ Preben Holmes. Buuuut I do love those chunky danish girls....err freehand pipes I mean.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
But, $500 on a pipe is ridiculous to someone who is passionate enough about pipes to join a forum?
Even though I own more than a few, $500 is ridiculous for a piece of wood and rubber/plastic.
But, if smoking is just a utilitarian thing for you, then aren't you bored with a whole forum full of enthusiast about pipes, people that see pipes as something "more"?
Not all of them think that way, and a lot of them are on here to learn how to smoke a pipe, and to converse with others that do the same. This is more than a "look what I have" forum. We find out about availability of products, sales, FDA updates, humor, and smoking technique tips here as well. It's mainly an online smoking area.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My $5 cob smokes better than some of my $200+ Preben Holmes. Buuuut I do love those chunky danish girls....err freehand pipes I mean.
Couldn't agree more. :puffy:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I agree too...about the chunky Danish girls :clap:
As far as pipes go, it's really a matter of whether you consider pipe smoking a hobby or not. Spending a couple hundred or more on a hobby piece is not unusual at all. Spending more than the cost of reasonable cob, if all you're looking for is a good smoke, doesn't make much sense.
Gotta go now, I hear chunky, slender, dark and light Danish, Italian and Irish girls calling me....

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Thank you for the advice. I have noticed a big quality difference from the low end pipes to the high end pipes too.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I have a love affair with those freehand pipes. That's my next purchase
If it's something you will enjoy, spend as much or as little as you want on it. If that beauty of a freehand is calling you and you can afford the extra ducats by all means go ahead and grab it!
Please let us know what you picked out!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's mainly an online smoking area.
Good synopsis. If this were a real-world place, well...
It would be huge, for starters. Imagine a large room, on the level of a gymnasium or grocery store. It is filled with couches, little tables and ashtrays. People cluster in different parts, but there is a huge amount of traffic between and within those clusters. To an outsider, it would look like total chaos.
In the parking lot, people are dealing Penzance out of their trunks.
Out front, there are a couple really drunk guys smoking Captain Black Grape and giving the finger to anyone driving by.
On the roof, with a telescope, a few guys are observing the stars and smoking Royal Yacht.

Status
Not open for further replies.