PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
I am a firm believer in smoking in moderation. I hardly ever smoke more than 8 or 9 bowls a day.... I probably average between 5 and 7 bowls on a usual day, more if I am out fishing, kayaking, or hiking.
I usually buy 3 or 4 tins worth each month. I buy most of my smoke in bulk so this is an estimate. I probably smoke between 12 oz. up to a pound per month. I am a writer and I work from home, so I can smoke while I work.

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
I am not smoking at all because of recurrent sinusitis. I am going to see an ent and perhaps there is something they can do.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Otto
Have you thought of a neti pot to assist with your sinusitis? I have long been without tonsils and adnoids and find that I am more prone to sinus issues courtesy of the extra space. I personally thought neti pots were stupid till my wife convinced me to try one. Now it's not a cure all, but it sure helps me clear loose material and give my sinus a nice saline wash. Neti pots can be found at any drug store usually in the Allergy isle. Most kits come with a pot and packets of dried salt to mix. All you need to do is pick up some distilled water to use.
Have to admit, I thought it would be worse than it really was; now I happily use 2-3 times a day depending on my condition.
Hope this helps!
Oh - and to stay in theme with the thread - 2-3 bowls a week; I'm more into the tactile experince of the pipe than the smoke (if that makes any sense to anyone).
Cheers!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
There have been numerous threads on this topic over the years. It amazes me how you can smoke more than 2-3 bowls per day. A small "quickie" smokes takes at least 30-40 min. Even if I could smoke inside I can't smoking that much. I'm jealous.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I smoke a good number of bulk blends, so there are some months where I don't even open a tin.
I usually have 2-3 bowls a day. Most bowls are between 3 & 5 grams. At a median of 4 grams per bowl and low balling 2 bowls per day that's 240 grams in a month and 4.8 50 gram tins.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Pipe smoking is a luxury for myself it is now a once a week if I am lucky. On average now it is 2 times a month multiple bowls on those smoking days. I am very much into fitness and try to keep my lungs good for running. Pipes and pipe tobacco I am more so a collector and reviewer of blends that I get to spend some days with. It does vary some months I smoke more then others. I find that limiting myself to these days as well as indulging in alcohol is a lot more rewarding for myself and makes me appreciate blends a lot more then when I smoked daily.....keeps me with a fresh pallet so to speak and makes it fun trying to focus on different leafs of tobacco used in blends. That's the beauty of pipe smoking you don't always have to smoke to enjoy this hobby.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This post makes me feel vaguely guilty about my tobacco collection. I don't think I finish even a full tin a month. I only smoke a few times per week, but my tobacco collection has become something like hoarding. At the rate I smoke, I probably have tobacco for the next five years...and yet, there's always another interesting tin to try...

5 years isn't very long. At the rate I smoke I'm thinking I have at least 10 years, and even that doesn't seem like enough. 2 bowls a day if I'm working evenings, one with my morning coffee, which is more like 11:30, then one when I get home, then if I'm working days usually just one in the evening as I don't have that time in the morning.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm pretty erratic in my smoking habits, especially since I smoke outside. On a nice Saturday, I might smoke 4 bowls. Weekdays maybe 1 or 2 or 3, or none. Or, I may go a couple of weeks and not smoke at all.
We've had an unusually warm December so far and I smoked 3 bowls today. It's dipping back into the 40's this week, so smoking season will be coming to an end shortly, picking up again in March.

charliejeffy

Lurker
Nov 21, 2015
Newbie smoker here. It depends on the day for me. I may even go about smoking 3-4 bowls on Sundays and Saturdays, but weekdays I limit myself to 1-2 - one in the morning, one in the evening, when I get back from high school.

Sep 18, 2015
I average about 3 oz. per mo. If you were to believe my wife I am a hoarder of tobacco (I prefer enthusiast)Keeping in mind that my math skills are highly suspect and the fact that I am too lazy to do more than a very rough estimate I would guess that at my current pace my 'stash' would get me thru the next 7-8 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.