PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
...Pipes do you own?
I really only need three. A Roush, a Castello, and a Cob. I know what I prefer to smoke and these three pipes handle it all, beautifully I might add.
How many do you have?

How many do you think you need, realistically (excluding the satisfaction of buying new pipes)?

crow

Lurker
Jan 13, 2015
I have about 30 or so. Realistically, I only need two or three. Variety is the spice of life, isn't it?

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I agree. I went through a stage of buying all kinds of pipes. One day I looked up and realized I smoked maybe 4 of them. The ones that smoked the best and I held a connection too.
Three is the magic number for me. Leaves more money to buy tobacco.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have 5 briars that are smokeable, 3 cobs I smoke, 3 cobs that are still unsmoked, and 5 pipes in the graveyard.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Watch the heavy guns now ... some people own hundreds :puffpipe: I only have 6, which almost seems enough :P

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
3 Meerschaums,

6 Mortas,

21 Briars

and a few falcon stems with a dozen bowls.
I have more pipes than I need and will probably get rid of a few over the coming year, I smoke the mortas and the falcons the most.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I count 15 briars in the rack, I smoke about 12 of them regularly. There's two churchwardens that see limited use, and a freehand that's in semi retirement. Some cobs for fishing duty.
A couple gourd calabashs and a pair of meerschaum Lovats round out the group, but they're strictly easy chair pipes usually lit up on the weekend.
I culled the rack a few years ago and only kept what I truly enjoyed.

I have over 108, but some are tucked away in drawers and others in my studio, and others just disappeared, but I know that I have 108 on my hanging wall racks. But, I also smoke between 10 and 15 pipes a day, but sometimes I will resmoke the same pipe over and over if I am away from the house.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I try to keep around a dozen. That gives me enough to give each one at least 24 hours to rest between smoking.

I'm about quality over quantity.. I can't afford both.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Too many? Perhaps. I don't smoke so many that I own that I should do something about getting them sold.

I haven't made a head count lately.

I've got at least a baker's dozen of rotating cobs.

Various meers (4 that i smoke) some other material pipes...brylon, pyrolite, cherrywood, maple..

and maybe smoke 2 dozen briars.

Probably in the neighborhood of 75 pipes or so. too many, and just less than 3 yrs.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I think I've got about 50 now. I started this hobby when my dad passed down his collection to me, about 25 Italian and Danish pipes. I have been acquiring my own over the years, not trying to get too carried away. I know what PAD is, and I try to control it. I used to do this with guitars, amps, and vintage effect pedals. We used to call that GAS (gear aquisition syndrome.....as in "I've got GAS!") At least pipes cost less than a good guitar, at least the pipes I buy. I try not to covet things, but there are a lot of nice pipes out there.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I think there are 2 types of basic pipers out there:
1. The Smoker who chooses pipes as a delivery method; they have fewer pipes, but smoke them more often.

2. The Collector who acquires pipes for their collection and smokes them to keep them used for their honest intentions. They will have more pipes than truly needed for the Smoker.
And then there is the person on a Zen journey; someone who is looking for that certain pipe/tobacco combination that will transcend any other pipe smoking experience. They will never be satisfied and will teeter on the brink of insanity, maniacally chasing the oneness they desire.
Or not... :rofl:
Having said that, I have about 15 briar and 4 cobs.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I own 3, 1 of which is too small and another which is badly engineered.

Gonna add a corncob to the line-up soon, and maybe a couple of large briars to suit my tastes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About twenty first line pipes but many others, north of eighty and I'm afraid to count 'em. I think they are a relatively inexpensive reward to cheery me up.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
13 briar, 1 Meer and 2 cobs. All but 3 briars get modest usage. I have not bought a pipe in months, I am occasionally tempted but I have most of my wants covered with what I have. I am sure I'll get more but not many and not quickly.

tittleton

Lurker
Jan 10, 2015
1 Country gentlemen for burleys and virginia based tobacco and 1 Hackert for englishes since his bowls are so wide. Told myself I wouldn't buy another pipe until I am able to buy a smooth Eltang. Looks like I'll get one in about 2 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.