PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I own somewhere around 65 pipes (varied materials), with an additional 10(ish) cobs. I could get by (comfortably) with 21 (good) briars.
I've set a limit of 100 pipes in my collection; after that, I'll have to sell off pipes that I don't enjoy if I want to invest in a new one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
B) Pipes must "sit". Resting the stem on a matchbox to keep the bit off the surface is acceptable, lying down on it's side or needing "apparatus" to stay upright is not.
I'm sure you speak for yourself, but some may think this is a "rule". Curious, though, the aversion to racking a pipe. (?) Or does this mean you insist your pipes be sitters?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I currently have 27 briars, plus a new Commission from Jesse Jones on the way. I have sold / given away several pipes over the past year. I think 21 is the right number for me. I smoke about 3 bowl a day, so at 21, each pipe would get a week's rest between smokes. I also dedicate them to types of tobacco, though if I can't find my taste for Latakia again that may change.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I try to keep it below 50. Have actually done pretty well, generally. Except for Ingo Garbe. Damn Ingo Garbe. Have almost 30, which pushes the total close to 70. :P

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
At the high point right around 200. Past couple years have slowly been getting rid of them. As stated I came to the idea I really dont need this many. I would find myself talking to them on the shelf and realized I have a problem. Around 50 now, but just got two more Boswells in mail today.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I'm sure you speak for yourself, but some may think this is a "rule". Curious, though, the aversion to racking a pipe. (?) Or does this mean you insist your pipes be sitters?
Apologies if my post was unclear. Yes, this is purely personal preference, but I have little time for pipes that aren't sitters. I clench for as long as it takes to strike a match and light the bowl, but other than that I hold it and smoke it, or set it down a while (supporting itself) if I need two hands free.
I was just trying to convey how my pipe requirements are rather specific, which also helps limit temptation to "upgrade" when I see nice pipes for sale.

owen

May 28, 2014
Two when i joined the forum, then around a hundred, following a purge about thirty many of those are kept for sentimental reasons and dont get smoked.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
For those who have agreed with my posted "Two Types" theory, thank you. It was nothing more than trying to express my observations based on direct interaction with other pipers.
I have many other theories on a variety of subjects; surprisingly, only a few of them may require a Tin Foil hat. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.