PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Way too many. And I'm stuck with a bunch of Dunhill products; now that that "company" took a dive, I probably won't even be able to give the shit away.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I don't have a lot or smoke a lot. But, I probably have more than I will ever smoke. New threads here keep showing me more possibilities, so I will get more so I can try them out. Fun... 8)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You can never have too much. What if nuclear war happens, Washinton and London and Jerusalem are erased, and you have nothing to do but smoke a pipe and think? You'll be glad for those 900 lbs of Escudo.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Death Metal, my friends and I had that very conversation the other night. When the new guy asked why do you guys collect so much tobacco, we pretty much gave that scenario!

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
wow! you guys have some seriously well stocked cellars! so interesting to see the different approaches to cellaring...cshubhra I love that database you have, did you use some kind of software to do that or was it a website? very cool way to keep track of what you have in the cellar!
How do you guys approach opening tins from your cellar? do you limit opening tins before you finish up jars of certain blends? or do you open what you want when you want it, and jar it just the same?
I've been wondering how long to age different tobaccos, as although my cellar is small compared to some of you guys, almost every tin is a different blend, or style...would you recommend I should aim to keep my VAs or VAPERs longer than aromatics, or balkan blends, etc? I'm assuming with any of my tobaccos there is no 'expiry date' when a tobacco of any style would be past being smokeable?
based on your guys' responses I'd better pick it up a gear and order a bunch more tins!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have approximately 70 mason jars, and over 100 tins which puts me around the 20 pound mark. I figure at the rate I smoke I'll have enough tobacco to last me 10 years if I don't buy anymore tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've been wondering how long to age different tobaccos, as although my cellar is small compared to some of you guys, almost every tin is a different blend, or style...would you recommend I should aim to keep my VAs or VAPERs longer than aromatics, or balkan blends, etc? I'm assuming with any of my tobaccos there is no 'expiry date' when a tobacco of any style would be past being smokeable?
Not all blends are "better" with age. They're just different. Sometimes I like the difference and other times I don't. Virginias, Va/Pers and other variants of this type age well. The flavors become deeper and a bit more pronounced. The Virginias become sweeter. Two blends that do seem to improve with a few years on them are Escudo and PS LBF. LBF really is a nice smoke after 4 years.
Aros are not generally great for aging. Over the long haul the topping lose strength. But you can keep them for a few years with no issues.
English blends change with aging. After 15 years the Latakia loses some of its punch. But a lot of people prefer the flavor of long aged Latakia.
Any tobacco can eventually go over the hill. But that would take many decades with Virginias. Latakia is susceptible to fading over time.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I recently tasted some of the whole leaf Latakia, from Whole Leaf Tobacco, and if it has diminished in any way from its original intensity, it was probably toxic then, 1997 !

Exceptions to all rules.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Im sitting at 30 mason jars and 28 tins. I took the time this weekend to log everything into thepipetool.com
I use a similar service for keeping track of my wine. I thought I would give this a whirl so I could look at things at a quick glance.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Too lazy to use pipetool for around two hundred tins and fifty mylar bags of bulk. No Mason jars.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
@deniz - you may like the site i use, thepipetool.com
@darwin - thats why i wanted to start sooner rather than later :)

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I just started the cellar process, so slowly but surely building up. I have 10 8oz jars. I'm a light weight :puffy:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
How do you guys approach opening tins from your cellar? do you limit opening tins before you finish up jars of certain blends? or do you open what you want when you want it, and jar it just the same?
It's taking great restraint, but I am determined to limit my open stock to one tin of each "category".
I have a large plastic ammo can that a vendor sent me as a promo and everything open must fit in there.
All of the other, untried blends beckon to me as I peruse the "cellar list".
At 2-3 smokes per day, it takes some time to go through half a dozen open units.
I don't mind. It gives me lots to eventually look forward to.
With the bulks, I jar them up and there's usually an ounce or two left over, so I'll get to try them more immediately.
jay-roger.jpg

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Be honest, oh Animal Jay. How many tins of Black Frigate are stored in the belly of your ship?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
3 - 8 oz tins. None opened at the moment, as I am working through the aged Pirate Kake I got from a forum member instead.
There's also one tin of Blockade Runner that is calling to me. We'll see how the winds are blowing at the next launch.
Arrgghh....
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.