PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, if you are handy with a drill, you should try re drilling a couple of pipes and I know they will smoke drier. I have a Willmer that Zack re drilled for me and it smokes freaking great now.
ae1pt, I actually chose to live in Florida as it was a life long dream. When I moved here even my best pipes, Formers, Reiner Barbi, Kurt Balleby, Winslows and others all needed a pipe cleaner or two during a bowl. It never really bothered me like I said until that first Rad and I came to realize that I could buy pipes, smoke them in the humidity of a Florida summer and still never need a PC unless it was too dislodge a loose piece of tobacco. It was an epiphany that rocked my world and every pipe I have bought since that 5th day of August 2012, have been dry smokers.
pipebow88, I am glad to hear I am the cause of your obsessive compulsive behavior, makes my heart feel good to have another like me on the site.
I am a serial clencher as I always have my pipe on the right side of my mouth when smoking. I honestly don't feel that this type of smoking causes excess moisture.
In terms of drying my tobacco of all my flakes( 28) maybe 8-10 need much additional drying time. My 3 Samuel Gawith flakes need a couple of hours but the others usually dry up in half an hour at most. I find that a tad moist is better than a tad dry as I can slow my smoking to compensate for any excess moisture in comparison to having my flakes too dry and there by losing flavor big time.
I think as a pipe community we have the power to demand that every mfg guarantee their pipes will smoke dry as a bone or else they have to give you your money back. That should be the goal of pipe smokers the world over, smoke dry or face our wrath, so who is with me? :crazy:

Mar 31, 2014
I'm in the "pipe cleaners no matter what" camp. I prefer proactive care over retroactive. Little steps during, rather than big steps after.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rsuninv, I also would never try re drilling myself but there are pro's out there who do it for not a lot of money. It is definitely worth doing because you will feel like you are getting a brand new pipe.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I have an Oom Paul that requires a pipe cleaner once or twice during a smoke but none of my others do. However, I have re drilled all of mine with the exception of my two most recent additions, which are a Rad Canadian and a Sav poker. Both of these had open draws from the start and didn't need any help from me. My reason for re drilling my others was that I have found that by opening the draw I get a much more flavorful smoke.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Boy. I had never thought about not using a pipe cleaner. I think the only ones I don't use a pipe cleaner on are the one's I don't smoke. So you have me wondering now.
I like to get out my tamper and a pipe cleaner before I fill my pipe. Routine. The pipe cleaner is not always for gurgle. Sometimes I just want to open the draw again a bit more right at the bowl when I'm halfway or more through. Ash or moist tobacco or whatever settles down in there and poking my pipe cleaner in and giving a twist... I get a nice puff again like I did when I first lit it. Maybe I should try drilling them out?
Using a pipe cleaner is the main reason that, although I like filters, I hesitate to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.