Not open for further replies.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
img_3044-450x600.jpg

As being a newbie - Here is my modest Pipe collection - L-R

Carey Magic Inch Freehand (Estate)

Hardcastle Bent Billiard (Stunning grain) Estate

Peterson 07' Christmas Pipe (bought new)

I don't consider myself a collector - I have that personality that when I get into things - I can't buy enough of whatever.

But for my Pipes I want to only own a few that I will smoke on a regular basis. And if I get something new one most go.

Just wondering if their is anyone on this forum that just owns one Pipe - and is perfectly happy?

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ken56/album/picture/28313[/img]

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
After breaking one (perhaps the very most) of my favorite pipes earlier this week, I thought about this. I realized that I have so many pipes that I have almost a dozen that haven't even been smoked let alone the dozens I have that don't get used.

I also realized that I didn't need that many, that they'd served a purpose and that I should thin this lot.

I don't have much of collector value, just random pipes picked up on auction. I consider them part of my tuition for learning to smoke pipes.

I won't be going to 'graduate' school any time soon, I hope.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I have 4 pipes. 1 Venini bent apple pipe, 1 MM Huck Finn, 1 Custom pipe from AR Pipe Indonesia, and 1 Dunhill. I think PAD doesn't happen to me...yet :D

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I've been smoking pipes for nearly 60 years, and over those years, have gathered 100 pipes. With the exception of a couple pipes kept for sentimental reasons, I smoke them all. I may not get back to one for many months, and a few favorites see more active duty, but more than 85 are in constant rotation. Each pipe has its own story, and that is part of the experience.

I can only say, good luck keeping to your "three pipe problem."

The old adage is, "if you have one pipe, you're a smoker; if you have two, you're a collector."

And, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: ormazd

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
ashdigger :rofl: I have something south of 30, and looking back I regret some buys. I actually use 5 for smoking, and two of them were gifted, so the rest was pretty much a waste of money, or to quote a friend "the rash of a collector"

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
As somebody once said on here, if you were happy with only one pipe, you probably wouldn't join a forum to talk about pipes and tobaccos. I have about a dozen pipes, I guess, but I'm more of aa tobacco collector than a pipe fiend.

Reactions: ormazd
Jan 8, 2013
After nearly thirty years, I'm creeping up on 180. Next year I may cut that by half.
In other words... he's getting rid of everything but his Weavers and 904s :rofl:
I think I have just shy of 50... without doing a count right now. Most get used although it might take a while to get back to some of them. I'm trying to keep them on an ever changing weekly rotation. My meers are getting double duty lately, as well as a few of my Nordings.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
6 morta pipes,

3 meerschaum pipes,

12 briar pipes

and two falcon stems with 10 bowls.
Being honest I smoke the falcons and morta pipes the most, I'll probably thin the collection out

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have 8 or 9. That's enough for me. I smoke so infrequently that having a pile of pipes makes no sense to me in a useful way. But part of this hobby that appeals to me is the craftsmanship and style of the actual pipe, so I can see myself getting a few more.
PAD works in mysterious ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.