PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I often read about the huge number of pipes made by some companies so..how many pipers are there in the US, world? How many pipes made each year? What country has the most pipers?

Last edited by a moderator:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have no idea as to the rest, but I believe a figure I heard the other day of world wide pipe smokers, the USA makes up only 2%. Denmark or Norway were the highest if I remember correctly at around 36%

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What country has the most pipers?
Scotland? ?
20181201_115604.jpg

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Wasn’t there a survey put up on this forum that broke down a bunch of stats? I believe one of the questions was where pipe smokers live and gave a breakdown of that answer. It was a post from last year but I have not found it again...

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I have no statistics, just an armchair estimate.
I'd buy that Denmark has the highest percentage of pipe smokers. For highest total number I'd think it would have to be China or the US.

Reactions: BROBS

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I was thinking about this yesterday. In an age when (supposedly) fewer and fewer folks are smoking (or being forced to hide while they do so) there seems to be an awfully lot of pipes being produced around the world. More tobacco too. Admittedly at higher prices. New and higher taxes do not deter the purchase of a desired item. They just cause us to forgo other less important things. (Econ 101) There are a lot of things I will stop buying before I give up pipe smoking. Along this same line--I miss the day when the "old codgers" used to "spit and whittle" around the courthouse square downtown and in the parks here in Texas.. They harmed no one and I looked forward to joining them when I got older. Now I am older and they are basically gone and the ones that remain are looked upon as some kind of pervert and/or bad influence on the young. I am glad to see indications of renewed interest . And "the wheels go round and round."

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I said on another thread, it is likely the pipe and pipe tobacco people have conjured up figures at separate companies and don't share this with their competitors, so the results might not be similar. They sure don't share it with the public, for fear of influencing them in a negative way. The number of people who own a pipe is way beyond those who smoke it, or them, regularly. I have nothing to even guess at. Would it be in the hundreds of thousands? A few million? Ten million? There are about seven billion people in the world at the moment. It's probably some fraction of one percent, so I think that would put it in the millions. Math people? Please help. Here in N.C., I think the numbers are relatively low, this having been major cigarette making territory. Flea markets and yard sales have sad slim pickings, as do antique shops. I think other areas are better, as a visit to upstate NY showed me.

Reactions: hobie1dog

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Brooklyn, if you count you and me, who are the other 10? They sure buy a lot more pipes than me. I seem to remember MM stating some where that they made over 750,000 pipes last year but I could be wrong.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I think Germany has a high percentage of pipe smokers to...

I think so, too, due to the ammount of pipe related shops here, though one rarely spots a piper in the wild. Probbly it‘s only a small percentage of them, who smoke in public.

Reactions: BROBS
In the thread about cancer study ... they come with some interesting observations on the number of pipe smokers.

As of 1991 2% of US Men smoked a pipe and less than 0.1% of US women. That makes 1.05% of US population smoked / (Or has smoked) a pipe in 1991. The same thread also suggests 20% of Chinese population smoked (Or has smoked) a pipe in 1996. This gives some idea about the number of pipe smokers.

People who talk about pipe smoking? Only a few!

EDIT- Revalidated the statistics after posting from memory and corrected ONE

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yea have often wondered myself , where do all the pipes go.
Lots of pipes and tobacco are purchased by China. Across the board there are many pipe smokers but only a small percentage are social and an even smaller percentage have an online forum presence.

Reactions: Casual and Lyle b
Status
Not open for further replies.