How Many of You Like Silver Trim on Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
More and more I'm drawn to silver trim on pipes, regardless if it's original or for a repair. I don't like a lot of silver, but one or two pieces of silver trim. Real silver not aluminum, not nickel, although nickel can look nice too. I've sold some pipes that had silver on them because I wasn't fond of the whole pipe, but for now these are the pipes I have that have silver trim. Gold (not brass) might be acceptable at times, but it can be kind of gaudy if there's too much.
Silver lovers? Let's see what you've got.
fullsizeoutput_21a5-600x400.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one silver band that I know of, on a Ferndown given to me by a Forums member. All the rest have no bands or metal work, or nickel bands. Silver is a lovely touch, but it increases the cost of every pipe. I'd guess it increases it by 20% to around 50%. I like variety in pipes, and enjoy hunting down moderately priced pipes that smoke well above their price point, the way others crave artisan commissioned pipes. Yours are impressive; don't see one I'd not be proud to own.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I do like some silver trim. Not sure about the rim caps yet though......I currently have two pipes with silver accents, one Peterson Harp 106 and one Savinelli Spigot Sterling 315KS Bordeaux:

savinelli-spigot-600x303.jpg

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m pretty obsessed with silver bands. All of my Peterson’s are silver except for the first pipe I ever bought. Rosslare Royal Irish 120 & 6, Flame Grain 87, Smooth Spigot 120, and I just got a sandblasted Silver Mounted Army 102 yesterday. Next one will absolutely have silver, too!
P.S. that Rosslare Royal Irish you’ve got there is a real stunner.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If silver is on a pipe I like then I am fine with it. I don't go chasing silver. My first pipe has a silver band. It is a Savinelli Linea Pui 5.

What I really like is 24kt gold on a pipe. I have this one Rad that has some gold and I like the way it looks.
Savinelli

savinelli1-600x337.jpg

Rad Davis

rad10-600x378.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
by various reasons most all my Canadian shaped pipes have silver bands on them, definitely, it(silver or other) does reinforce thin shank walls,but personally, I do prefer pipes with no silver or other ornaments.

Btw What is the make of that Billiard shaped pipe of Yours seen below Peterson Canadian model.?

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I don't have a lot of pipes (8), but I do have a couple with silver, so I guess I do like it. They are two of my favorite pipes.
Becker & Musico Army

004-006-19695.jpg

Peterson System Spigot

002-029-42466.6589.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I have quite a few silver banded pipes. I'll try to get photos of some of them up later tonight after work when I have the time.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've got a couple with silver. I like them and get tempted to buy another but then I start feeling like Mr. Fancypants and hold off. Just a hang-up of mine I suppose. I should probably try to work through whatever deep seated issue is causing that and just start buying them up right and left. Problem solved.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for the comments guys!

Harris, that Rad Davis is a stunner.

Paul, the billiard under the Pete is a Comoy's Grand Slam with the patent no. The band looks original to the pipe as I see no need for a repair band, it's stamped Sterling London.

I really would like to get a spigot pipe someday, as I like the looks of them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.