PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I am a 3 or 4 guy, right nnow i am using orlik golden sliced (i usually have one of these open) Peterson university flake, and sherlock holmes, and mississippi river by the seattle pipe club

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
No more than three at a time. Two tins and one jar. A tin of Virginia, an English blend tin, and a jar of PA. I smoke the two tins until they are empty and then try something new. The PA jar can go several days without being opened but I always want it available.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I'd like to narrow it down to just 3 or 4. Currently in my cabinet I have Prince Albert (always have some on hand as a go to) Lane BCA, 1Q, and MV1000, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, Fader's Maharajah (English, Oriental blend), and a mixed mess of least loved aromatics in a big jar that is a work in progress.

atuukson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2011
Sweden
ehhmm lemme see
Becks Ol' limey Bastard

Penzance

Peterson: Irish oak

Peterson: connoisseur's choise (for it's room note when i have friend over gf that dont like pipesmoke)

Orlik: Golden slice

Frog morton
those are on my tobacco rotation atm.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Since ashaun and I share a cellar, we have a buttload of tobacco open. I have about 10 in my rotation:
Whiskey Biscuit Gravy

Founding Fathers

Classic Burley Kake

Haddo's

Bayou Morning

Anniversary Kake

7 Seas Royal

7 Seas Black

G.L. Pease Oddyssey

Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
This is an interesting question, one that has come up before, and one that makes me think that the option to create an occasional poll would be a great addition to the site.

I try to limit my open rotation to 15-ish, though many of the open jars are blending tobaccos--burleys, Periques, Virginias, and Orientals. Of the open blends, it is usually 1/3 aromatics, 1/3 Virginias / VaPers, and the remainder includes at least one English and one cigar leaf.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I smoke whatever I am in the mood for at the time, but have at least 10 open at any given time. I smoked 6 different ones today, might smoke only one all day long tomorrow (or maybe not LOL).

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Currently smoking mostly Haddo's Delight and Cairo.
Also have open some PA, original Froggie, EMP, 965, 2011 Holiday Spirit, Melange, and 1Q.
Oh, and some Chelsea Morning. And now that I think about it, some CBW I haven't touched for awhile.
Not too worried about organization, or a systematic approach, or how many I have open at a time. It's supposed to be fun, right?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I jar everything as soon as I open it. I keep stock of favourites and the rest is basically in contention for a spot in my favourites cellar. I usually have a dozen or so tobaccos on the go that I am trying and another half dozen staples that are always on the go.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
With all the Bell jars around here and all my tins, I probably have over 30 or 35 blends here and I have no consistent pattern in what I smoke. I like all kinds of tobaccos: English, American/English, Balkan, Burley, VA/Per, VA, and Aromatic.
Smokey

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Going through the Altadis aro's now, so maybe 5 of those are at hand on the desk. There are about 20 on the floor in jars that I mix it up on and many, many jars in the cellar, some old, some new. I pull and rotate about every month, so whats on the floor now will go back to the cellar and something else will come up. Of course there is always something coming but, don't tell my wife...
On the desk: Peach Cobbler, Blue Note, Melange, Captain Black: White and Cherry Bomb. I'm not getting on the floor.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have to update my response, i have about 6 or 7 open, Orlik, Sherlock holmes, university flake, solani perique, mississippi river, rum and maple, sutliff early morning smoke, and macbarens club mixture, so 8 haha

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I mainly smoke C&D's Big n Burley, but I intersperse that with Elegant Emu, Smoker's Haven In-B-Tween mixture, and right now some aromatics like C&D's Autumn Evening or Mild and Mellow. So I guess five in rotation.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i have about a dozen blends, removed from tin and stored in glass jars--i sample from them on occasion--
my main fare is Big n Burley, OJK, Haunted Book Shop, and Morley's Best--these i smoke regularly, though not each one daily--
also keep Carter Hall, and PA on hand but they haven't been called upon so much of late since C&D has claimed my attention--

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I'm afraid I have hundreds of tins and baggies open. But there is a method to my madness: I'm defining the Top100 blends to cellar. I'm categorizing my blends into morning, noon and nighttime puffs, which generally start off light and progress to stronger ones in terms of both nicotine and flavor. Pretty much the ones I'm serious about are Balkan/English and VA/VAPer.
So I start off a day with a candidate, or a control (from the umpteen dozen that are already cellar material); then work my way up from there. I am trying to learn VAs since I am basically a Latakia addict.
I never puff the same blend the same day - this has to do with the limitations of the way I set up my Excel spreadsheet. At an average of 3 bowls daily, I can see where the magic number would be 42.
hp

les

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
With 20 pounds on hand - it's something different everyday. Sounds like bragging but I have been collecting heavily for over 3 years.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I'm always making my own blends from most of the blends that I buy. I like to combine blends that I think will balance each other more for my tastes, so I keep a few small saucers on my coffee table that I use to mix small batches of my latest concoction. I get constantly varying new flavors and aromas - I think I'd really enjoy getting into blending more formally.

Status
Not open for further replies.