PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I don't really care how "long" I live. What's long life without happiness and enjoyment? I'd rather life a short life full of good memories and enjoyment, than a long life full of worry and hesitation.

Jan 8, 2013
+1 organizedmadman. Well said. When I am laying on my death bed, I have a feeling that eating right and being a financial wiz aren't going to be high on the priority list.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Some words of a wise teacher are "eat, drink and find satisfaction in your work and fear the Lord and keep his commandments". Those are words I try to live by. I try to enjoy the here and now while also doing some good in my community. I am no hedonist, but I am not an ascetic neither. I try to take care of myself and I do want to do better. I want to eat better and get into better shape, but I will continue to enjoy my pipes and good food. A daily pipe, an occasional drink and a little fried food never did kill no one. Doctors, governments and other concerned officials, however, have killed plenty.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
My grandpa (who was a doctor) always said that the number 1 killer is stress. I try to live as positive and stress free life as possible, eat good quality food, exercise and be active every day, surround myself with positive people, and have a pipe and a drink every night. I agree with other posters in the view that your life can suddenly end no matter what you are doing, so you might as well enjoy yourself along the way!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Genetics has more of an impact on life span than microwave popcorn. Probably why people like Jim Fixx and Pete Maravich die in the best of health while people like George Burns live on and on despite their best efforts to kill themselves.

Aug 14, 2012
Speaking of George Burns, the straight man who lived so long he became a comic: Some years ago a 122 year old French woman was interviewed. She was so old that she knew Vincent Van Gogh. They asked her why she had lived so long. "Because I gave up smoking at 90." My father recently checked out at 95+. He lived so long he forgot he was no longer interested in women and started hitting on his nurses.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I may not live to 100 years, but if I listen to my doctor it will seem like it.
One of my favorite "insights" comes from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar:
  • That we shall die, we know; 'tis but the time and drawing days out, that men stand upon.

Why, he that cuts off twenty years of life cuts off so many years of fearing death.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Dr. Oz is a moron. Last year he was telling everyone that orange juice is dangerous to your health. But hey... it gets him on T.V. and that's all that matters to him.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Most of us have been told that saturated fats clog our arteries. Now the journal Annals of Internal Medicine recently reported the link is "tenuous". Think of all the tasteless healthy food we've endured for years laboring under a false assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.