PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I'm not asking about feet or meters, I'm asking about time. If you were to not buy another ounce of tobacco, how many months/years would it take before you ran out?
Since I'm a newbie in cellaring tobacco, and I smoke about 12 ounces per month, I estimate I have 4 or 5 months of stock. A very short cellar indeed. And as a senior, I would need about 15 years worth of stock to last me till I depart this Earth, if I continued at this rate. Then my heirs can sell the left overs on BriarBid.
This also raises the questions, when do you stop stocking your cellar, and what would it mean to retailers that see a reduction in sales, if any?
I'm just curious. What say ye?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
At my current consumption of around 10 pounds per year, I currently have a 22 year supply. I am still filling in on a couple of blends but the big buying is pretty much done. I figure this will take me to 77 or 78 years old, and if I run out at that age, I will just go back to chasing the dragon and forget my pipes.

Dec 24, 2012
I am 44 and have more than I could smoke in my remaining years - doesn't stop me from buying new blends though.

hambone

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Hambone1
Cellar Summary - 11 open containers, 153 cellared containers holding 22 lbs 12 oz

Total spent $1,729.28 (cost of cellared containers $1,227.20) what's it worth?

Based on past usage, this cellar should last for 5 years and 10 months (~ Jun 2019)

Puffing at the average rate of 0.2 oz, approx 2 bowls Daily (total approx 5.2 oz Monthly)

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
At my current rate of consumption, I have about 2 1/2 years supply, consisting of varying amounts of ~28 blends. I tend strongly to Balkan blends and Virginias.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
According to Pipe Tools, I have 30.3 pounds, enough to last 2 years and seven months at 4 bowls per day.

I'm constantly collecting as much as I can, because in Canada, it's hard to acquire at bulk.

Ideally, you look for that tipping point where you have just enough to last till you die, but if we knew when we were going to kick the bucket, then we would be all better off.

For me, my goal is about 150 pounds cellared, and once I get there just replenish tins I smoke.

I have no doubt that this won't be the case, and I'll just keep buying...
Shutterbug

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I could probably go about five years with what I have now. I never really planned on starting a cellar but it's hard not to.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
According to my app, I have 11 years and 8 months at 3 bowls a day with 6 bowls an ounce. Probably longer than that though. That is 134 pounds even. There are still things to try and a few others I want to get more of (like ODF) but overall I am done building up.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I figure at my current rate I have about 4-5 years built up, I continue to add monthly though for all the reasons stated above. If I could afford to buy more per month, I would.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have almost 14 lbs, so at two bowls per day about 2 1/2 years, maybe 3. I am 42. I want to have around 100 or 150 lbs by 55.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Not nearly enough. I have 6 and some ounces of baccy, which at my current rate is about 3 years but I will probably start smoking more when time permits. So far I can only afford 100/month for new blends.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Pipe tools is an App for the iPhone that tracks your tobacco and is linked directly with Tobacco Reviews.com. I have found it very useful for $1.99.
Shutterbug

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am at the point now I could smoke into my late 50's. I'm 42 for the next few weeks anyhow. I am at 80+ pounds now. This time next year I hope to be at 250 lbs. I have a lot of work to do I know. Spending a little too much on Artisan pipes but PAD is low right now.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-few-pics-of-my-cellar

Status
Not open for further replies.