PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
This is a great topic. I have not taken the project of cellaring very seriously until recently. I would be interested to know how some of you cellar on a tight budget. With three young kids in private schools, we do not have much coin for luxury purchases (and my wife would consider tobacco a luxury). Perhaps this topic deserves a separate thread.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Werdna:
I currently have around two years cellared and I've got a long, long way to go.
But the journey is always the reward, isn't it?
@Harris:
You wrote:
"...if I run out at that age, I will just go back to chasing the dragon and forget my pipes."
LMFAO!
I immediately flashed to DeNiro in the opium den in "Once Upon a Time in America". That damned telephone just kept ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing.
I'll go with you provided the deed is done in the Peoples Republic of China.
Fnord

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I just ordered another pound of tobacco. My original number was based on smoking more per week than I probably really do - using a slightly more realistic number, and adding the new pound- I've got about 2 years at my current rate (which is somewhere around 4 bowls/week).

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I'm at about 15 kg, which Pipe Tool projects to about 10 years at 1.5 bowls/day. I smoke 2-3 on weekends, one a day, usually, during the week.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I have about 7.5 years in stock and growing all the time.
This is a great topic. I have not taken the project of cellaring very seriously until recently. I would be interested to know how some of you cellar on a tight budget. With three young kids in private schools, we do not have much coin for luxury purchases (and my wife would consider tobacco a luxury). Perhaps this topic deserves a separate thread.
How do you cellar on a budget. Buy in bulk and on sale when possible. If you are planning to continue smoking then buying tobacco now is cheaper than it will be in the future and could be considered an investment. If all else fails take the kids out of private school, they probably don't appreciate it anyway :lol:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm at 15 pounds cellared, plus 50 open tins, which all told should last me about 5 years. I'd be buying lots more if I had the coin. At least I'm still buying it faster than I'm smoking it :wink:

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I've kind of approached my cellar as a hobby within the hobby. While I primarily enjoy the smoking experience, I also like to collect those difficult to find blends. I never thought of my building a tobacco cellar as a part of some Armageddon senecio. That doesn't mean I don't like being prepared if the end-of-tobacco-days actually arrives.
Not to hijack this thread, but how seriously is the threat of me actually having to rely on my cellar as my only source of pipe tobacco?

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
how seriously is the threat of me actually having to rely on my cellar as my only source of pipe tobacco?
The answer to this question isn't obvious, although the concerns of pipe & cigar smokers are not unreasonable. The sources of those concerns lie at the state and federal level. In states such as Wisconsin, residents have to pay an exorbitant excise tax on pipe tobacco (it's over 70% I think). I imagine other states will attempt to generate revenue through similar means (under the guise of 'public health' of course). At the federal level, the FDA's ever-increasing power to regulate tobacco sales--combined with the govt's desire to employ huge health-insurance surcharges on smokers via Obamacare--makes the aforementioned concerns pretty well founded (no one knows how this will affect *pipe* smokers). In short, there are many people who wish to use the power to tax as a form of behavioral coercion.
The tobacco legislation forum here offers good reading on these issues.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
fnord, one of my favorite movies. When the phone starts ringing, I turn the volume down till it ends. lol
Are you guys stocking up for Doomsday or what?
I am making sure that none of the blends I love will be unavailable to me when the shit hits the fan and pipe tobacco will be triple the price and mfgs go out of business.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Not to hijack this thread, but how seriously is the threat of me actually having to rely on my cellar as my only source of pipe tobacco?
You're not hijacking anything. It's a viable question, a reasonable evolution of this thread, and one of the implied questions I had when I started it.
All of the responses have been terrific, and has helped me to understand what may, or may not, come about. Since I'm still exploring, and deciding on favorite blends, cellaring is a gamble. I don't want to buy volumes of tobaccos that I think I like, only to find I'm bored after a tin or two. Then again, I do want to buffer myself from a huge tax increase, or availability drought.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.