PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
People sometimes have mentioned in a post how long they've been a pipe smoker, and I like knowing, now that I'm becoming familiar with the personalities associated with the name and, especially, the avatar. So how long has it been for you?
It's been just 2-1/2 months for me. And I already have 7 Briars and 3 Cobs!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I started in earnest in 2002, went head over heels into PAD and TAD like most knuckleheads like me do for about 3 solid years. During that time I had the luxury of smoking at work pretty much all I wanted to but as with most places and these modern times that quickly came to an abrupt end. I started hitting a cigar only shop and got back into them with pipe gradually falling back to simply a fair weather type excursion around the house and the outdoors. Cigars became too pricey for my liking so I started down a terrible road with dip, that crap consumed me by rekindling my nicotine addiction back to full blown for almost 5 years. I finally got that monkey off me and used no nicotine products for a year or so. I had sold off a good number of my pipes and tobaccos but fortunately I wasn't dumb enough to get rid of all of my pipes and cellared tobaccos, I kept a few high grades that smoked best for me, somehow knowing I'd be back for them and one day a few years back, I dug them out, cleaned them up and broke out some 10 year old Haddo's. What a way to re-enter the hobby! I never really got out of it but the intensity of the flame drew to a near smoldering bowl before I realized that pipe smoking is what I enjoy, is what's good for my mind, is what's good for my inner peace.

I still enjoy a good cigar ( they don't cost me now that I work in a real tobacco shop P/T) and I've come to appreciate such a wider variety of pipe tobaccos in the process. Although we carry an ample supply of pipes and tobacco I still horse trade a fair amount with forum members for both and THAT is a lot of fun. I meet more pipe smokers in a few months time than many on here will meet in their lives, sadly, but I learn from each one of them. I do my best to forward what works best for me to other fledglings on these forums.

I apologize for not just answering 3-5 years but it's more complicated and convoluted than that, thanks for asking though. :)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
For me, off and on since 1973. Got in to cigars big time then backed off because of cost 5 or 6 years ago.Now with a 400lb cellar (Just ordered 16oz. of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Black Irish X Unsliced) to go with it,I realize how much I'm saving over cigars! :wink: ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
24 years here as well. Started with a smooth Grabow Omega and a pouch of Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla in '91 when I was 17.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
First pipe smoked was in 1963. Smoked till ca. 1970, then not again till June of last year. Had about fifteen pipes from long ago, added about the same number more. Only two are antique enough to not smoke.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
7 months there about. I got a basket briar and a pouch of David's Blend 'Executive' (a brand of mostly aros that is quite popular in Canada I guess). Frankly, I had no idea what I was getting myself into... :mrgreen:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Warren you're right, the math is depressing. I started in 1963 smoking a Drug Store "basket" Lovet with more fills than briar. Still have that pipe and even smoke it every once in a while. Slowly built a set of six more Peretti's store brand pipes. Back then seven pipes was a pretty good collection. You had a pipe for each day of the week. How the times have changed. As I remember, it was three TV stations, rotary phones and the guy with a really impressive collection belonged to Wally Frank's Pipe of the Month club.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Bought my first pipe April 11, 2011. Bought a basket pipe and some 1Q. In the past 4 years I've acquired 2 Meerschaum's, 16 cobs, 20 briar pipes, and I have about 50 tins in the cellar and another 45 mason jars with tobacco I use as my baccy rotation. I used to be a cigar guy but now I would say I'm more a pipe guy as I smoke pipes more than my cigars these days.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Fifty years here. Started with a sandblast Imperial and Amphora tobacco. I added a cob, a Dr Grabow and three Amphora X-tra's purchased with coupons from the tobacco. From there things got out of hand.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One year. I'm 67 yrs old and I've smoked a pipe on occasion many years ago in my youth, but only this past year did I get the idea, the bug, and all the acquisition disorders attendant.

I've had a 'need' / hate relationship with tobacco since my first shared pall mall out by the railroad tracks with my next door neighbor at the age of 6. I've smoked cigarettes and quit them for years at a time, only to return to tobacco in times of stress.

I just wish I'd known how to enjoy tobacco and pipes a long time ago.

When the insurance profession realized how much money they were shelling out for cigarette smoking the anti tobacco movement skipped right over any reasonable moderation possibilities, like pipe smoking.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I started smoking cigars in 2008 when I got home from Iraq and around 2010 I purchased my first pipe (Peterson) and two tins of pipe tobacco (Presbyterian and Dunhill Nightcap). At first I found pipe smoking to be too much work and set it all aside until 2012 when I gave it a second try and became hooked. Nowadays I smoke a pipe exclusively and only on rare occasions will I break into my cigar humidor.
For me I get a great amount of relaxation from pipe smoking and perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I prefer to smoke by myself typically later in the evening after the day's work is done. It's one of the few times in the day when I can sit with some quiet time and think.
One of the other enjoyments for me is collecting pipe tobacco. I've collected things all my life...baseball cards, stamps, coins, cigars, etc. I still collect coins here and there, but most of my time and energy is spent on building up my pipe tobacco cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.