How Long Does Your Average Bowl Take to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
It variously depends on what pipe I am smoking, but if I were to estimate, I would say anywhere between 45 - 60 minutes.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
1.5 hours for a medium bowl (very slow smoker). To put it in perspective, a Legend cob takes me 1.25 hours to smoke. I normally do not smoke an entire bowl, but rather 2/3's of one.

Jan 18, 2013
I'm new as well to pipe smoking, usually a bowl will last anywhere from 45 - 60min. It all depends on the bowl and tobacco.

webflys

Lurker
Jun 16, 2018
Very old question but still comes up #1 on Google for "how long does it take to smoke a pipe" so...
To answer this question more specifically and to the point, it takes about 8-10 minutes to actually smoke an average pipe, with average cut and size.
What is done in between "puffs" (the actual act of smoking a pipe) really depends on your preference. I did not want new users to think you can puff on a pipe in a constant manner (one puff every 30 seconds) for 45 minutes - that would take a pipe the size of a coke can.
Everyone above (110% correctly stated) takes X minutes for this relaxing "ritual". Been smoking about 30 years and sometimes I will light a pipe and smoke for 5 minutes. Sometimes I will put it down and go slowly for 30 minutes. I do not think the pauses in between puffs count for much. Similar to saying how long does it take to eat a sandwich and someone says "1 hour" because they have 50 minutes of resting time in between bites. YES, their process of finishing a sandwich was an hour, but it took them 5 minutes to actually eat the sandwich. I've seen others swallow one down in 3 : )
To the point, if you're new to this, take your time. It is not supposed to be a rush to the end but there is nothing wrong with taking a few hits and putting it down.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Earlier this week, I was able to smoke a clay pipe for more than 45 minutes.
The purpose of smoking slow is to help you enjoy the taste of the tobacco. Part of the reason to have slow smoke contests is to teach new pipe smokers to go slow, and fully appreciate the experience. This is not like a cigarette smoker that runs outside to get a nic hit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll run with the crowd on this one. My telling would be 40 to 60 minutes average. But there are often breaks in the actual lit puffing time. Usually there are breaks to do other things before a relight. I have no compunctions about leaving a pipe overnight and finishing it the next day. I always find that flake/plug/coin/rope go noticeably longer so a small pipe can easily go over an hour. I relate to a pipe as a time out of time, so I don't pay much attention to this. It's like doing creative work where you don't experience the passing of time much, or at all.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm an "old time puffer" per the OP and even with my largest bowls they don't last me more than 20 minutes. That's why I always smoke 4 consecutive bowls in a sitting. Does that make me a "train wreck?' :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Depends on the pipe size. An average sized pipe like my yachts take about 90 minutes when I get to devote time to smoke it in one sitting.
20180613_175011-423x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.