PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
What is your average length of smoke? If I get 20 minutes to half an hour I'm lucky. The re-lights do me in.
I can remember my uncle zio used to smoke his pipe all day long. If I remember correctly, the only time I saw him light his pipe was when he filled it with more tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You mean between lights? Or altogether, of an evening? Twenty minutes isn't terrible. It'll do. Sometimes

I'll puff along for forty minutes, maybe even on occasion an hour, but the pipe, the tobacco, and mainly the

circumstances have to be just right. A lot of times I'm working on a project, or I need to tend something in

another room, etc. etc. Most of my smokes end up being intermittent even when I intend to have one long

contemplative time. I always allow myself a charring light to get things going and tamp down the bowl, but

sometimes one match will do it to the bottom of the bowl.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
+1 what mso489 has said. I tend to smoke smaller pipe bowls and for me a 20-30 minute smoke is about right. However, I tend to sip at my pipe and depending upon the size of the bowl chamber and the tobacco that I'm smoking, I can stretch a bowl out to a 45 minute smoke on average. Relighting tends to vary depending upon the tobacco blend and the amount of moisture in the tobacco. I know a lot of fellas like to dry their tobacco out a bit before lighting it, but I've found that if you let it get too dry it tends to burn too quickly and loses some of the flavor as well. At least that's been my experience.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
All depends on the tobacco and obviously the size of the bowl. Normal average for me is about 45 minutes. Had a bowl of Mississippi River tonight in a MM Country Gentleman and it lasted about 70 minutes. However, when I light up a bowl of PA at bedtime on occasion (which burns like a fuse) I'll get about 30 minutes. Way too many variables here.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
If I get to really sit down and slow smoke then with relights I can get an hour or more. I have two kids and a full time so more often than not I'm getting 30-45 minutes.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Most of the time I get a quick breaks for a few sips of smoke then put it down and come back to the pipe later. Or maybe fifteen or twenty minutes in the car running errands. If I get more than half an hour I am happy.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been gravitating to larger pipes just because I enjoy a longer smoke at night. Forty-five minutes to an hour smokes are my norm. Fridays and Saturdays are my "Pipe Days".

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
30-45 minutes as a rule but I've been getting into the Irish plugs of late and they provide an hour or more smoke. I really like them and will be ordering more.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Because I am able to smoke at work and in my restoration shop in the evenings, O tend to light up, enjoy 10 minutes and then put it down. Pick it up 15 or twenty minutes late...and so on.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
About an hour or longer if I can actually sit down and enjoy myself in warm weather. 10-20 minutes if I'm willing to brave the cold.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Obviously depends on the pipe and tobacco. 30-45 minutes at the low end, hour plus at the high end - and I don't have too many really large pipes.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
45 minutes to an hour but like so many others I gravitate towards larger pipes for this very purpose. I also smoke once a day possibly twice on a day off so I look to get a rich experience and take my time.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Whatever it is, I know it's too fast. I tend to generate moistened dottle by smoking too 'hard'.

Depends on the blend, of course, and the bowl or even the stem sometimes (drool)

I've only recently begun to smoke my largest bowl, an MM Freehand, and haven't had any problems smoking lat blends in it for about an hour w/o goop. Tasty too!

zzeman

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
When I have the time to sit and smoke an entire bowl, the average is usually around an hour, maybe a little more. I always wonder how it is that people can smoke a pipe in 15 or 20 minutes, when it always takes me much longer.
Five minutes, or a hundred and five, I've found that all time spent smoking my pipe is time well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.