PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I smoke until all the tobacco is burned.
Depending on the conditions I can usually go an entire smoke, about 50 minutes (I'm usually haunting the forums while I smoke and I time it by the posting of what I'm smoking), on just a couple relights.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It depends on what variety of tobacco and how large a chamber. Virginias are a slower smoke. I can get about an hour and ten minutes smoking a virginia flake in a group 3 bowl, but a ribbon cut aromatic would probably last 30 minutes or a little more.
A large chamber packed with a good English can last anywhere from an hour and a quarter to two hours, depending on circumstances. I rarely have that kind of time, so I either work through a large bowl over several sessions during the day, or stick to smaller bowls for a 20-30 minute smoke.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Depends on which pipe I'm smoking, but typically 20-30 minutes...I have a couple that I can smoke from 45-60 minutes...most of the time 2-3 relights...depends on my pack, tamp and dryness of tobacco...I would say

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I can do it in an hour if I have to but prefer an hour and a half. I only smoke one pipe a day usually, after dinner.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
My average bowl of a latakia blend lasts just a tick under an hour, with a range of about 40 mins to almost two hours in a big pipe.
My average bowl of a Virginia blend lasts well over an hour. I've gotten almost three hours out of a fairly big Comoy billiard while burning Full Virginia Flake. In the winter, I find myself smoking half bowls of Virginias.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I think about 20 - 30 minutes on average. I have a Nording with a very large bowl though and sometimes I get a full hour out of that...and honestly that's too long sometimes. Becomes more of a job than a relaxation. :)

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I always thought I was smoking way to fast at an average length of 30-45 minutes, but after reading some of the length of time other people take to smoke a pipe I am pretty much at a normal length.

jcochey

Lurker
Dec 27, 2014
I tend to smoke on average about 20-30 minutes. I prefer smaller bowls but I am also guilty of smoking fairly slow as well...

jedediahsmith

Lurker
Dec 3, 2013
I mainly smoke on my commute which can last about 90 minutes. I can usually get a pipe to last for most of that, but I do take periodic breaks when I need a re-light.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I can honestly say I have never timed it or noticed exactly. I think that says a lot about where I go when smoking my pipes. I mainly smoke flakes and am pretty sure it is almost never under an hour.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I routinely get about 90 minutes out of my group 1 pipe. Oddly, my group 3 smokes for the same duration.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Around the 1 hour mark. My pipes aren't even that large, I assume cadence plays a bigger role than bowl (within reason, of course - tiny pipe above excluded ;))

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It depend on what I'm smoking and in what pipe. Although I'm sure even rubbed out flake burns slower than loose tobacco, I don't notice much difference in the rate of burn.

As long as I tamp appropriately, I can go a half-hour between lights.

Just to throw my two cents in... I don't think I've ever smoked for less than 45 minutes, except for when I smoked my first one, with a scorched mouth afterwards. I usually smoke a .6" x 1.2" pipe for a little over an hour clenched while working. I don't tend to need relights. I just clench and forget about it. But, with my Northern Briar I can get up to three hours, and I save that one for when I am watching a movie or reading. I have various sizes in between.

I have noticed that the diameter of the chamber doesn't seem to matter on time. It's the depth of the chamber that seems to affect the time, in my experience. I have a .6 x 2.7" chambered chimney that can almost take as long to smoke as my Northern Briar.
But yeh, tobacco matters too. Shag seems to burn faster, and flakes burn slower.
Websites that don't put these measurements on their pipes, don't get my attention or business.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
There's been some mention here of group categories of pipes, 3,4,5, and so forth. I was unaware of these groups. I assume they refer to bowl sizes. How do you tell what group size your pipe is? I have mostly Peterson billiards, about four of the 107s: what size would these be considered? BTW, my smoking time, if there are not any interruptions, is about 15-20 minutes, 35 or longer if I'm smoking (rarely) my giant Nording. A Peterson 107 lasts me about 15-20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.