PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
...To learn how to properly smoke a pipe, that is? I know it was a couple of years before I realized I was filling my pipe properly with barely the touch of a tamper, had developed an unconscious breathing rhythm, and so forth. Did it take you others so long? I should point out I had nothing but the forum's help in grabbing the reins of pipe smoking, but no personal instruction.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I started, the internet didn't exist. I started in early Summer '91, and by Christmas of that year I was smoking a pipe without thinking about it, so about six or seven months.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am happy with my progress. I am comfortable with the pipe now, no burnt tongue, pipe works well. About 5 months this trip. I had not smoked much at all for about 10 years and back then only smoked for about 8 months or so.

The forum helped a LOT. I am sure that learning by myself would have taken a lot longer.

Jan 8, 2013
I think I got off to a ok start from day one, but the forums definitely helped me refine my technique and learn most of the dos and don'ts.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Too long ago to remember, but I did struggle with scorched tongue in those early days weeks months -- that's it, months -- smoking moist aromatics. Then, one day, a clerk at Iwan Ries turned me on to their British blends, and it was downhill from then on. (I still haven't learned to not end sentences with a preposition.)

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Sort of like the benefit of aging tobacco; first 6 months to a year the most improvement, after that slowly incremental change for the better.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
It took me 2 years...or maybe it's just a matter of the tobacco I opened 2 years ago is getting a little drier and burns better...:)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm still struggling after all these years.
Hell I'm struggling right now as I write this to try and figure out why I can't keep this bowl of Mike & Russ Mind Meld Va/Per lit. I didn't over pack it and I barely tamped it after the charring light.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Echo some of the others. Nearly 20 years now and still learn something new and sometimes unexpected.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I've been pipe smoking for over 50 years now and the learning has slowed down (or maybe it's just me!) but it never stops. Someone here always provokes a new idea I hadn't contemplated. It's what keeps it fun.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
After coming back to the pipe a few years ago I'm learning a lot.
fitzy -
Hell I'm struggling right now as I write this to try and figure out why I can't keep this bowl of Mike & Russ Mind Meld Va/Per lit. I didn't over pack it and I barely tamped it after the charring light.
For the life of me there are certain tobaccos I just cannot keep lit regardless of how I pack the pipe. So I've given up on them and will only smoke the less difficult.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Without much problem 50 years ago, a couple of months. But I had a great mentor. Since re-taking it up a few years ago, much learning has occurred. Another 20 years and I think I may have it mastered.......

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have been learning since I picked up the pipe nearly ten years ago. I have been able to pack a bowl and smoke it with decent results after just a few months; however, I continue to have breakthroughs which keep improving my smoking experiences. Basically, I thought I knew a lot in the past, but now realize I did not know as much as I thought I did. I am sure in another ten years I will be in the same boat.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This is good thread!
I’ve been smoking a pipe pretty close to 8 years now and just from memory I feel like I got it down pretty quick and was lucky to find English blends early on in my journey as they are pretty darn forgiving. Once I got into VA’s it took me a lot longer to master and just like others had said before me, it’s an ongoing process and I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning. It’s a new challenge every time I get a new blend and/or a new pipe and I think it’s all part of the fun, keeps me on my toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.