PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Has anyone heard an update on Zack?
I hope his healing is going very well and that his doctors are giving him positive news during visits for medical care.
Doug

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've been following his posts on Facebook and he's doing great and looks great... Speaking of looking great, so does his wife. Greta is a honey!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Speaking of looking great, so does his wife. Greta is a honey!
Yeah, yeah.... She always looks fabulous!
I'm actually feeling good now- if you missed all the drama, the short version is I inhaled a small piece of steakbone maybe a year ago. That caused a massive infection in the left lung, Beginning in Nov, I had a fever for a month before it was diagnosed, had 6 hours of lung surgery to fix it, and the entire ordeal took about two months to sort out. I finally had the two drain tubes for the lung removed 2 weeks ago and the line for the IV antibiotics came out last week. They figure If I had waited 4 more days the infection would have spread and we wouldn't be having this conversation....
I'm still aggressively rehabbing- 30 minutes a day on the stationary bike, and just started light weights until the 11" incision in the back heals a little better...and the lung function is now 80% and improving...
...and the exciting part for me- I'll be back making pipes next weekend wearing a really expensive mask....and if the lung function is normal when I have a followup CT scan in 6 weeks, I'll fire up a bowl....:)
Lessons to be learned- sometimes, it's the stuff ya don't see coming that will kill you....

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dude, inhaling your food is supposed to be a figure of speech...
Props to pipestud for talking about Mrs. Zack to get Zack to weigh in here.
Glad you are on the mend. I am excited to hear you are going to make pipes again. I love my morta author and still have an idea for a pipe I want you to think about once I have money.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks Guys! It was a really weird deal that left the docs shaking their heads...The worse part is that I was in such good shape from 80 miles a week on the bike and weight lifting daily, that I completely faked the docs out- I looked really good until I completely hit the wall. If I had been single, I would have held out for a few days for the 2nd scheduled XRay and it would have been too late. Greta raised Hell with everyone and move up all the appointments by a week...They had me scheduled for a 90 minute surgery- it ran 6 hours...and I was one grumpy bastard when I came out...great hallucinations...(I thought this was a hysterical video- can't post it on Facebook because I have a lot of clients there...)
https://vimeo.com/310215583

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
That was a close one for you. After seeing that video, I'd say you certainly have a sense of humour. Glad you are on the mend. Will you be considering a vegan lifestyle in the future?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Will you be considering a vegan lifestyle in the future?
I'd rather die a miserable death than to give up a good porterhouse steak....actually, the most common problem of people inhaling foreign objects in the lung is from eating peanuts. The difference is I didn't know I had inhaled something, so it sat inside and gradually created a problem...

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I will chew my food more carefully in the future, especially peanuts. I inhaled a plastic bullet into my lungs (bronchial tube) when I was a kid. The spring-loaded toy gun didn't fire, so I stuck it in my mouth and inhaled. Ya, dumb, but I was probably 7 yrs old. Doctor had to go in with a long pair of forceps and feel around. As a parent, I was very conscious of my kids and small items, let me tell you.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You guys can believe Zack's story if you want...
Me? I'm thinkin' he just wanted Greta nearby more hours of the day (smart man!), endless trays of delectable goodies within easy reach, and cable TV Oprah re-runs 24/7.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Eh, just switch to SpaceSteak. It's just like regular steak, but de-boned, pureed, and packaged in a Capri Sun pouch. Mmmm, good! Glad you're doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.