How Good Are the Esoterica 8oz. Bags for Long Term Storage?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hello,
I was lucky enough to score an 8oz bag of Penzance and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the long term storage of these bags? I really don't want to open it and jar it if I don't have to.
Thanks,

Frank
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A Ball jar is the only dependable medium for short or long-term storage. At any one time on this forum there are multiple threads about the viability of other mediums, none of which are candidates. Why do these men of otherwise solid character and judgment trust any other medium?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had zero problems with the mylar bags that many Esoterica's come in, but my experience is limited to three years. YMMV.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
They are great if they are sealed well. I have had 2 out of 4 purchased in the last 6 months with poor seals (1 Margate and 1 Penzance). Squeeze the bag and smell around the seals. No smell or air hissing out, you should be good for several years. If you aren't going to resale it you might as well put it in a couple small jars for aging or smoking just to be on the safe side.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Good information here.
Also, here's a picture of a damaged Esoterica bag.
s-l1600.jpg

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I have roughly twelve eight ounce bags of various blends. I don’t fiddle with them and they stay tucked away in a box. The oldest is from 1998 I believe (Penzance). I had two of the 1998’s but opened one a few years ago and it has been delicious. The mason jar is the best but I like to keep the tobacco in the original package as long as I feel comfortable.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anyone who uses any medium other than a jar is a knucklehead. Mind you, I'm not saying this. I read it on the internet.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
IMO, mylar bags are a risk, you may be abe to keep them sealed (at the top) but they are prone to ripping, tearing at a fold - and being punctured.
Mason jars are not 100% effective- but pretty damn close..and far more reliable than mylar. Same goes for tins. Almost everything I have goes into mason jars. The ONLY downside is if you choose to re-sell tobacco in mason jars you may not get full price (maybe)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In my experience, if you use good quality Mylar bags, there is zero risk of problems. If you haven’t taken the time to properly test them, then your opinion is of little merit.

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
The Mylar bags have always worked well for me. I have seen some pics of very fancy storage lockers where the Mylar bags are stored in Mason jars for a little extra L/T insurance.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
My opinion is of large merit, Woodsroad. I've used glass jars for storing tobacco which are still intact - going on 20 years plus.
ZERO risk when using mylar? There's always a risk. "Your opinion seems to be of little merit." Touche' ;)
Avoiding your "little merit" dig, I must admit I think both our opinions have much merit. You've gotten good results your way and I've gotten good results my way. My postings were to inform the OP of the pros and cons. Also of note: the OP is asking specifically about ET's factory mylar bags.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks everyone for the help. I think you've convinced me to jar it since I have no intention of reselling.

Status
Not open for further replies.