PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I just found a pouch of SWRA which has been hidden in my glove box for some time. I threw it in the glove box because it didn't taste that good to me when it was fresh. It was VERY dry. I decided to give it a try. I actually liked it better than when fresh. I will admit it smoked hot if you didn't pay attention. How dry is too dry for your taste?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Just mix it in with fresh moist tobacco from the same blend. After a month or so they will equilibrate and it will generally taste even better that way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most tobacco smokes well when dried out. Occasionally it will lose taste or be too harsh, but I am often surprised how well dried out tobacco smokes.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
If it crumbles when squeezed with fingers, then I know I cocked it up.

I prefer most of my tobacco to be bone dry crunchy, except for a few blends... and most definitely aromatics. Aromatics have to have some of the topping to give it the flavors that were added. SWRA looses too much flavor when dried to crunchy. IMO. But, everyone is different.
I was at a cigar shop yesterday that also sold RYO pipe tobacco, and someone was complaining about it "going stale" so fast, and I started questioning what he meant by "stale." Turns out as soon as it got dry, he was tossing it as unredeemably stale. Cigarette people seem to have all sorts of silly notions. I offered a few suggestions to bring it back to pliable... because tobacco is constantly going to bone dry while processing, and is always brought back. To me stale is when all of the essential oils of the tobacco are gone, and that takes quite a bit of drying time, maybe a year or more, depending on the tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I prefer my flakes and plugs to have some moisture in them. I have found tobacco that gets too dry smokes hot and fast and looses flavor. Examples of flakes that come with the perfect amount of moisture for me are the following.

Capstan Blue Flake and Gold Flake

Dunhill Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, Gold Virginia Flake, Brigade Campaign, Gold Slice

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage Flake, Special Brown Flake

Astleys no 44 and 109

Solani 633 and 660

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I bought some cheap pipe tobacco from Walgreens once. Came in a tube. That stuff was so wet, I left it with the top open for months, and forgot about it. It was still so wet that I could roll it in a ball, and it didn't release.
Otherwise, I don't like my to tobacco too dry, so I'll let it sit out for just a couple minutes.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
If the leaf breaks up into tiny little pieces when you pinch it, I figure the flavor enhancing oils are gone. Otherwise, it's a rehydration project and usually garners great results.

piperusak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
certainly dry tobacco smoked better. But he really loses the aromatic tastes and oh hell, tobacco burns like gunpowder

piperusak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
if the tobacco is too wet, I clog the pipe with tobacco and leave it to rest for about an hour. Wood and air draw moisture out of tobacco :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If my recently opened, still fairly moist tin of GLP Haddo's Delight is any guide, I'd say somewhat dryer than this. I'm just not getting the flavor, and it doesn't stay lit all that well. Maybe it will get better, or I'll mix it and see if I can bring it up. Back to the burleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.