PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
When I have a day to kill in the shop/man cave, etc...I tend to load up 4 or so pipes with different blend and start with mild and work my way to wild as the day goes. When driving long distance I tend to stick to a single blend. In the evening before hitting the hay, I tend to smoke a single bowl of something like Quit Nite or Nightcap. How do you smoke?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Usually one pipe all day long. Sometimes the same pipe all week/month. But occasionally I'll switch it up. And I have 4 open tins that I'll switch from these days.
I've grown from a one tobacco kinda guy!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It varies a lot. Ideally I will smoke a bowl of some light va or va/per in the morning, a bowl of some darker va or va/bur/per with a lttle more of a kick in the afternoon and a bowl of something heavyer in the evening. But it varies a lot.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
On weekdays I smoke a single bowl. English or Virginia, whatever suits my fancy. on weekends I tend to smoke from two to four bowls per day. I alternate englishes and Vas. I find that keeps my palate fresh.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke the same pipe 2-3 times per day for a week or two, often the same blend.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Don't really have any hard/fast rules other than pre-loading several bowls for road trips. Wherever I am I usually have 2-3 blends handy & they may vary. Unless I've got a specific taste in mind like Chimney Smoke, Black Frigate, 3 Nuns or something, I'll smoke whatever my hand hits first.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Usually a bowl a day, a different blend each time through a rotation, a different pipe each bowl. I often smoke incrementally, maybe four or five relights, and sometimes an overnight pause. I have about a dozen blends open on hand, maybe a few more, and over 80 pipes of all kinds, a few up-market, but mostly mid or low. I favor non-aro blends, but also enjoy some aromatics as a change of pace, I'd say every dozen bowls or so.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Totally unstructured without a set routine or rules. I keep my pipe smoking simple, grab a pipe, load it and smoke. I think I'd not enjoy the pipe so much if I had to stick to some sort of schedule, seasonal pairings, etc. Not my style. But, "whatever works for each of us" should be the credo.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
3 to 4 bowlfuls ,usually starting with some medium strength burley alternating with some more virgina forwards blends in order to refresh palate, yet some max 5 cigarettes or little cigarillos to keep me calm' during the day. switching between 3 pipes per day.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What warren said. I keep a half dozen or more pipes in my golf bag, and one blend in a pouch. A handful in the car, also one blend. On the counter in the utility room, a half gross of pipes and ten tobaccos to choose among as the fancy suits. All ready at ca. 70% RH, so little to no drying time needed.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
As soon as I get up I turn on the coffee machine. I then walk over to my pipes and fill 2 of them. If I plan on smoking a Samuel Gawith flake I will lay those out and let them dry for however long the first two pipes smoke. I usually begin my day with a milder straight Virginia flake. Usually after that it is a darker Virginia flake then usually either a vaper or a vabur, those are interchangeable. I smoke four pipes a day and sometimes five.
I smoke flakes and plugs 99% of the time and use group 4-5 sized pipes. I usually get 1.5-2.0 hours for each pipe. I am smoking for a good 8 hours a day on most days.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
1, sometimes 2 bowls per week. Different blend, different pipe each time. I’m still new so just trying to play the field as much as possible, but with some restraint so as to not become JimInks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For some reason, I don't smoke in the morning. That's coffee and breakfast time. I don't often take my pipes in the car. I like to focus on the smoke, and driving takes the focus. Pipe smoking is down time, reflective time, time off to check in with my thoughts. But as warren says, no rules or set habits. If I want a smoke in the car, I do it. If I want to smoke in the middle of some project, I will. But I do have my ways. If I get engrossed in an activity, I usually will stop smoking and relight later.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
On weekdays I smoke in the evenings after work. So, usually 2 or 3 bowls at night. Weekends I may smoke 4 or 5 bowls per day. Kind of a nights & weekends routine.
Whatever sounds good at the time is what I reach for. Right now, I'm smoking some Balkan Sasieni which I haven't smoked in about 3 months. Just sounded like a nice change of pace.
I have a few different pipes that I tend to use and another 5 or 6 that I rarely use.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke a pipe all day long. The amount of bowls would floor some of you. I change pipes each time I smoke, but with 157 pipes (mostly cobs & Falcons) I can do that. I start my day with C&D's Pegasus and stay with that blend until I feel like smoking something else. In the evening I'll smoke only mild in nicotine blends because heavy nic blends keep me awake and it's hard to fall asleep. Yes I'm an Old Codger, but I'm 72 and have been smoking a pipe for 53 yrs, so I earned the title.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I smoke after dinner most nights. Out on the patio most times without company. I either read or listen to a book via Audible. Glass of ice water during this time of Floridian year.

Status
Not open for further replies.