PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
So I just recieved my Frog Morton sampler. I cracked open the original and it tasted very good with a strong taste. Then a friend said you should try the On The Town first. So after a few hours I cracked open that tin and I kind of got the same taste! Do you all think it's the Lakota that's in there? Am I not sipping it right? I'm new to smoking pipes and the original was in a Cobb and the ott was in a basket pipe. So how do you really sip a pipe? I had to relight both about 15 times so maybe I'm not packing right and also with me relighting am I bringing too much heat? Thanks all

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you mean Latakia, the tobacco, not Lakota, the Indian tribe, but no problem, I can never remember how to

spell Latakia. Anyway, I think sipping just means drawing easily on the pipe and doing so at an easy pace, not

puffing like a train. Packing a pipe is a technique to develop, and there's a good video on this site, pipesmagazine,

that will show you the basics (and more). Since you are relighting so often, you are likely either packing too tight,

or way too loose, so play around with that, but don't ever feel you have to only light the pipe once. Many people

feel at least one charring light is needed before you light the pipe to smoke it. Take your time, and sample the

tobacco at your leisure. If it all tastes the same, you may need a little more variety. The Frog Morton blends are

distinct, but they are the same "family." Don't consider your beginner experiences mistakes. You're not messing up,

you're just learning, and that should be fun. Go easy, and let us know when you find a blend you like, and how you

get it to burn a little better, and take your time.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Along with mso's good advice I'd say stick with one blend through to the end. Your doing a disservice to your palette by mixing it up right away. For a beginner this is all new and foreign so you want to get well aquainted with what your smoking providing you don't hate it. Just for example, you kind of like a particular Frog Morton blend and can tolerate it so here's a good one to stick with until it's gone. You'll now have a better appreciation for what if can offer you. As said previous, work on your packing and smoking cadence and don't sweat the relights right now. I've got some years into the hobby and still relight probably more than I should be at this point but that doesn't make or break a good smoke.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Do you all think it's the Lakota that's in there?...I'm new to smoking pipes"
No kidding.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, don't worry about relights. Focus on perfecting your pack and getting a good cadence down. You've already selected good tobacco but I'd recommend getting a good quality pipe as well. I'm personally not a fan of cobs (but opinions vary) so I'd look at the estate section of a reputable site like smokingpipes.com
Just keep at it.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Yea I ment Latakia sorry even I got a laugh outta that one too! Maybe I should proof read my own stuff. I do think smoking it in a good pipe would help but how long or how many bowls do you need in a pipe to get a good break in? My basket has like maybe 10 bowls through it and when I'm done I only run a pipe cleaner through it. I have come from aro tobaccos mainly boswells berry cobbler but I have heard so much about frog I wanted to try it. Thanks you all so much it is fun and learning is kinda hard but having my friends (you all) help me is a big help. I'm not going to open any more tins until I'm done wine these two but they do taste the same. Maybe tomorrow I will smoke ott first and the original later. Maybe the original was way too strong and it over powered the ott taste. Thanks again guys

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Aros to frog is a jump. Do be afraid to be an Aro smoker. There are plenty of us out there. Pipe breaking in really depends on how its smoked, quality of pipe, tobacco, many, many things. Keep you pipe clean especially changing tobaccos, Many aros will ghost(leave a taste) in a pipe so when you try something else your getting an unwanted mixture. One of the things you are going to realize is how different the same tobacco will taste as it ages and other minute items like what you are doing with it, are your drinking something, did you just eat or drink something. I started with only aros 2 years ago and now my taste are slowly changing BUT they are changing on their own, i not forcing the issue. I used to hate English blends, now- not so much.
Stick with it and don't do something you done enjoy. Welcome aboard.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Welcome! All the advice so far is good, but I will add just one thing I came across years ago. Someone, perhaps at this forum, wrote that a pipe is at its best when it is on the verge of going out. It might seem paradoxical, but I agree. When the pipe is cooling, it, of course, provides a cooler smoke, and the flavors mellow out to more easily detect the nuances / flavors in a blend. I rarely dump ash unless it is a deeper bowl pipe, but I have only a few of these. Like cigars, a bit of ash provides a cooler, more flavorful smoke. Don’t worry about relights; they are the nature of the beast. Limiting them is the best any pipe smoker can do. Pipe smoking is an art for a few,good men. Smoking cigarettes is a habit for the masses.

I think that developing a palate for the nuances of different tobacco blends takes time. I remember thinking that it all tasted the same, till I that magic moment with the pipe, where packing, cadence, and letting my mind just relax came together for me. I don't always get that focus on flavor moment. Sometimes I just smoke. Other times all I can do is savor the smoke. It will come to you in its own way. Be patient, and keep trying.
For me, I never developed a taste for beer. I tried and tried and just gave up. I didn't like the way it made me feel, and even the expensive stuff always tasted like horse piss. With the pipe at least, I could drive home after a night of trying and trying, lol.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I think you'll find that tobacco taste varies day to day. Many things play a factor: your mood, the weather, the type of pipe you smoke it in, what you ate that day...seriously. I've had blends I hated. Tried them weeks later and nearly had an orgasm! Give it another shot later. I truly believe there isn't a "bad" tobacco blend.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thank you all great advise. I am not a quitter! Bhahah I do want that OH MY. Feeling and I can't wait until I get everything come together(pack , cadence, the perfect smoke) I want it to happen soon! But I don't want to rush. I think I'll have a bowl right now!

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
I just recently tried frog morton On the Bayou after having only smoked aros that I picked up at a local smoke shop. I have to say I think that the On the Bayou saved me from giving up the hobby. I live in Utah and my options are limited so visiting an actual tobacconist in Boise, ID really opened up my eyes. I haven enjoyed these forums and have learned a lot. When I first started with the pipe I bought a bunch of blends and was smoking a different one every day. Thanks to multiple posts on the forums I have been sticking with a single blend until it is gone then moving onto something else.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think slowing down is the key to pipe smoking, and one of its best lessons. Both when you are actually packing,

lighting and smoking a pipe, and in the process of trying blends and maintaining the pipes. All of us, or most, tend

to rush around to some degree. It's a value of our culture(s) to keep moving, show initiative, and keep up with a

to-do list, written or in our heads. Whereas, pipe smoking requires a sort of presence of mind and deliberateness

that requires slowing down, taking life a step at a time, and taking our time. That's how you get pipes and tobaccos

to unfold and reveal the enjoyment they offer.

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
Give it some time and take your time. Most pipe smokers tend to quit in the first month. As soon as you get the hang of it, it's a new great world out there for you to explore.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
To get fewer relights, you might want to give this loading technique a try - many swear by it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm of the opposite opinion, I'd open all the frogs and smoke through them slowly, so you'll taste the differences. Smoking the same mixture all day is boring, or at least to me. When I first started I'd have tins that would last me 6 months easily, as they'd cost me 36$ for a 50 gm tin on sale. So I'd only smoke a tin occasionally and cheaper bulk, and even then not regularly. But when I got a tin, I opened it. I still have a few tins that have been open for over a year now, just add a bit of moisture and it's all good. Heck alot of my tins still last me a good 6 months, I have my daily bulk smokes like EMP and el ricon de la pipa, but my tins I'll break out maybe once a week, and then I'll have usually about 5 tins open at once. So I think variety is good. But all the frog morton's will probably have the same overall flavor profile with a bit of difference, so I think it's beneficial to have them all open, as they're going to work in the same pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.