PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have worked on my collection to the point I like smoking them all but...I find I go through fazes. One week I'm all into smoking falcons, next week cobs grab my attention, then big briars. How do you guys select what to smoke or is random?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Very spur of the moment for me. Picking a pipe to buy though, that's another story.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a pipe stand that holds 6 pipes, and a pipe rest I keep at my desk. I try to rotate most of the pipes for others every week. Some might stay on the rack if I really feel like I might want to smoke them again. Before I added that stand my choice was totally random, but I had pipes I enjoyed smoking somehow not getting touched. Changing my rotation, weekly, has helped me revisit some favorites and keeps me from neglecting my other pipes.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't. Though I don't reach for a cob if I'm wearing a suit –that's about the only 'rule', and I've 'broken' it if I'm wearing a winter jacket that keeps the suit unseen.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I keep pipes I have smoked that need clean in one spot and pipes that are ready to smoke in another. I don't select pipes per se. I just randomly grab one unless I'm working in the yard, then I'll grab a cob.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Randomly
I will pick a pipe to smoke for the week and usually, not always, will swap it for another the next week.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have a 7 day set of Longchamp pipes which I reserve as my Sunday pipes. I'll smoke all 7 each Sunday and then they go back in their Longchamp case for a week. Other then Sunday I'll just pick a pipe that interests me. Usually a Falcon or cob.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
For the last 7-8 years I have been smoking the same pipe as my first smoke of the day. After that, I just go by feel. I look over my rack of a dozen pipes I keep on my desk and select the one that best suits what I'm wanting at that particular moment - each pipe smokes a little differently - During the week I may move some pipes to my other smoking pipe racks and pull out a few from there and put them in my desk rack (all are actually Lazy Susan style racks) and rotate that way. So, like most of the guys on this thread, its all random.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I dedicate a great many pipes either to particular blends or more often, particular genres. What I decide to smoke often dictates what pipe I will smoke. For many blends, I have several candidates and choose the one that interests me most at that moment.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
No rules. I have some pipes that are lightweight and good for clenching while I'm driving or working and they get used most during the week. In the evenings or on weekends I'll rest them and use my larger, heavier pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.