PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have two categories for pipes; pipes for Latakia mixtures and pipes for all other toabccos. Past that, it is completely random. Whatever pipe in my rack or drawer that catches my eye at that moment, is the one that gets smoked.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For the week? Only if I am traveling, and then I grab 10-12 pipes of various sizes. Otherwise, it's "Oh, right now, I'll grab that one", each time I go for a smoke.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
All of my pipes are entered into a comprehensive database. The pipe's parameters (weight, briar density, style, origin of briar, origin of pipe carving, stem material, price paid, current value, price paid:current value ratio, brand, artisan, etc., etc., etc.,) are recorded, and then a "theme of the week" is established. The possibilities, while not endless, are certainly numerous. This week, I'm smoking pipes from Lithuania with acrylic stems that were carved by an artisan under the age of 40 who's first name begins with a letter in the last third of the alphabet and who has at least two cats and one pet gerbil.
Selecting tobacco blends is a bit more complex.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I dedicate pipes a certain genre of blend. I ponder over what tobacco I'm going to smoke for about 2 to 3 seconds, then ponder another 2 to 3 seconds over what pipe to smoke it in. I try not to over think it.

Jan 8, 2013
you-must-choose-but-choose-wisely.jpg

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Mood mostly, and sometimes Function. I have a Brigham 39 with a large chamber which I select whenever I want a longer smoke, or when I wish to avoid refilling while on foot. Other than that, most all of my pipes are relatively similar in chamber size, so those just go through a days rest after a day of smoking them. I will say that I ALWAYS keep my well-worn MM Legend, an old pouch of PA, and 2 spare lighters either in my coat, or in my car, whenever I go out of the house - regardless of what pipes and tabaks I am actually working that day. - Sherm Natman

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Some periods of the day, I have a set rotation weekly for pipes I always wish to smoke once per week. Other periods of the day the rotation changes weekly, but, for those, I typically decide at the start of the week which pipes I plan to some at that time that week.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I dedicate all of my pipes so I pick a tobacco first then the pipe. I have numerous pipes for say the Virginia flake category and I also have some pipes that are blend specific.
There are times though when I want to smoke a specific pipe and I just grab a blend that goes with it.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Once in a great while I'll give the choice some thought, like a full bent Pete for a road trip.
The vast majority of the time, I just grab the next one on the rack and smoke it all day, sometimes for two or three days when I'm taking it easy. My "routine" rack is a dozen pipes all the same brand and shape. :puffy:

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I dedicate a great many pipes either to particular blends or more often, particular genres. What I decide to smoke often dictates what pipe I will smoke.
Likewise. It's tobacco-driven.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
only have limited number of pipes. have some i smoke during the day. bigger bowl and can smoke for 45+ min. i rotate them. night pipes have small bowl and can smoke for less than an hour. rotate them also. they all get used.

Status
Not open for further replies.