PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you decline to buy a pipe, other than price, what stops you? I think now with scores of pipes it is mostly that I already have a pipe that fills that niche. I have several nice compact bent billiards. Three zulus, two small straight bulldogs, two bent brandy sitters, and so on. Of course the variation in pipe designs, sizes, materials, etc., is almost infinite, so sometimes to make this work, I have to resort to fairly lame excuses, like I already have some pipes with that size bowl. Sometimes I can skirt around the purchase, and other times I can't. I have a number of once-unfinished pipes that have taken on a beautiful glow, but I bought another anyway. There's always a cold shower or a session of serious bill-paying.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I look at the balance in my tobacco account. I’m now working with the rule that all my pipe expenditures are self-financed. I can buy more, but only with funds I obtain by selling pipes or tobacco. This, after a severe dual case of TAD/PAD.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have an account that is for my hobbies. I can spend the money on pipes, tobacco, guns, ammo or whiskey. If I spend the money in reverse order I can get in trouble.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I also have a monthly hobby allowance in a separate account from operating expenses and savings. The hard part is deciding between pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, beer, and whiskey!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I resist buying new pipes by owning a meer that I love smoking. It's slowly but steadily coloring, plus I don't baby it and it's getting a few minor scars along the way too. It's constant evolution satisfies my itch for something different I guess.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm at that point where a pipe would have to be something extremely special, the greatest of white whales, for me to consider buying it. It's time to sell off pipes that I'm not using. The chase has been fun and now it's done.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something that helps me is simply to reach for a pipe I haven't smoked in a while and realize what a great smoker it is, just what I've been missing. That stays my wandering eye for a time.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Unfortunately I seem only to curb my PAD when I have already spent my money on some other AD.
6 bottles of Scotch recently kept me from buying a pipe...

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I have to balance it with all my other hobbies. Like this month is light video game wise and possibly vinyl wise as well. But I need to upgrade my turntable so I have to account for that. But I am waiting for black Friday and cyber monday to see if any deals pop up.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
chvco.jpg

that, and a lack of space. It has worked pretty well to keep the collection under control.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
PAD has been riding me hard for at least a month. I haven't bought anything yet as I cannot find something I love in the price range I want to spend. You would think with a pain threshold of 450.00 I could find something nice. I look at hundreds of pipes per week and none fit my strict weight and dimension criteria along with a great blast and proper shaping.
There have been a few that I do like, but don't love. I am at the point where I have to love a pipe before I buy it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Don't resist. Spend every dime you have. Spend your childrens' college fund and your life savings.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have no resistance! I am sick with PAD. In fact, I don't ever recalling seeing a pipe I didn't like. Please offer some advice. I am sinking in pipes and tobacco and loving every moment of it!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't ever recalling seeing a pipe I didn't like.
That's the spirit! Get a second mortgage and buy a dozen S. Bangs! Buy so many so that you're sure you will never ever smoke a third of them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've sublimated my PAD with TAD. I even buy old, previously owned tobacco that other people are getting rid of because they were smart enough to stop smoking.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't enough pipes and I am trying to like the few I have and make the best of them. I would really like to have a nice meerschaum, but most meerschaums are of a kitchy "buy-beautiful-souvenir-from-Turkey-my-friend" design that I dislike. So I am being patient. That's my remedy. Patience.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I heard that the guy whose tobacco you bought eloped to Pago Pago with the millions he made from his tobacco sales and is set to unload dozens of worthless pipes from that remote location..

Status
Not open for further replies.