PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Lately I'have notice I was been eying for more expensive estate or artisan carvers pipes, and that is very bad sign.In most cases and by some strange reason todays factory made pipes are not meeting my criteria.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When my local independent pipe shop owner sees me gazing entranced at the wall of pipes, picking up this one and that one, he asks me, "Do you see anything you like?" My response is, "I'm looking for something I DON"T like." Same with tables full of pipes at pipe shows. Only the rare pipe gives me the completely negative response, that I'm glad I don't have to make room for that one. My wife and friends know it is easy to delight me with a pipe. If I don't like it at first sight, it takes me about 45 seconds to be enchanted in most cases. I never broke for a churchwarden or a Hungarian, but when my wife gifted me with them, I immediately got the idea. Finding that one on the back of the circular rack that I haven't smoked in a while helps. Also, it helps that the more a pipe is smoked usually the better it gets, so the ones that are well broken in and well understood always smoke a little better, or a lot better.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Now I know what my disorder is!!! I am new to piping but I can't get enough of looking at pipes. I got a cheap one with a kit I bought last month. Now I have 2 Peterson's, 4 Savinelli's and one Dunbar. What's the next step from there?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have finally found the best way to curb PAD.
Date Ordered: 11/06/2018

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro 100g

SKU: 003-401-0009

Quantity: 7
Date Ordered: 11/09/2018

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro 100g

Quantity: 20
Date Ordered: 11/12/2018

Savinelli

Doblone d'Oro 100g

Quantity: 13

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Better hurry guys. I see d'Oro is going on the endangered list. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I took 3 days to fill my cellar giving everyone ample opportunity. I never hoard, I cellar with extreme prejudice. 40 tins is hardly hoarding, 8.8 pounds is actually light in comparison to other blends I have cellared.
Hoarding is what you do with 200 pounds of McClelland Virginia's.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I resisted by asking myself if pipe X, Y or Z is similar to what I have already. If so, no sale. Is it non-traditional? Then no sale. Is it unique? Hmmmm. Is it priced right? How likely is it that it will be in my top rotation? This kept my from buying among about 500 pipes that crossed the first thresholds as I attended the WCPS. I did end up with three new meerschaums, and am happy with them all.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've discovered that looking at pipes that are way over my budget helps keep me from buying them. Although I hope I don't eventually breakdown and buy one or two anyway.
There were 3 pipes of particular interest to me at the pipe show last weekend.
One looked a little like a pearl grade Larson but in a simple sitting check-mark kinda shape if that makes sense.
The other two were by a husband and wife carving team. I wish I could remember their names. She won a pipe of the show award for one of hers. The pipe I wanted from her was kind of a bent egg shape that would sit on its own and had beautiful grain. The pipe he had was a spectacular looking blowfish. I can't remember if the blowfish would sit on its own. He offered it for a good 25% off which brought it below the $1K mark but still just way out of my range.
For some reason sitters are really appealing to me right now.
My fear is that I'll get older and decide to have just a few really nice pipes and that's when the trouble will start...

tenfiver

Lurker
Nov 13, 2018
I don't. The better question is, "how does my wife resist my PAD?" I have to admit, she's doing a bang up job at it.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I had been doing really well resisting PAD, until MSO posted somewhere about P&C having a sale on Peterson unfinished pipes. I'll let y'all know how it smokes in a couple days :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.