PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My other hobby is HO German model trains (Fleischmann) which means I get HOTAD along with PAD and TAD. I don't have an explanation how I control it...I just do.
There have been times I put items in the online shopping cart and then walk away. I come back later and empty the cart realizing that I really don't need it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have about fifteen briars, plus a bunch of cobs, and that's plenty of pipes to enjoy smoking as many pipes as I want and as many blends as I want in a given day. That, combined with my recently-dwindling bank accounts, does the trick :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
Resistance to PAD is futile. I was pretty well behaved last year but am back to my old ways lately. However, now I just keep my purchases to myself and wallow in my shame all alone. One thing I have noticed is my PAD is pricier than it used to be. Tastes evolve.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
The answer is easy: I only smoke, buy and collect one pipe: Stanwell 52, a smaller straight billiard. The older the better. There are so many different finishes and models that it never gets boring. They do not show up often, but when they do, they are always of interest. I much prefer the older ones made in Denmark with a well-made vulcanite stem. The current production from Italy comes with an acrylic stem, which is much less comfortable; I have 5 of them and am looking for someone who can make vulcanite replacement stems for those pipes based on a template that I would provide.

I have 5 non-52 pipes: Stanwell 140 (1/4 bent Dublin) x 2 which I use when travelling, a Stanwell 32 Bulldog, a Castello billiard and a 1966 Dunhill billiard.

I appreciate the beauty of all pipes, but collect only one so it is easy to resist PAD.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As much as I'm tempted to succumb to PAD, my rational mind says 20-30 pipes is plenty, from a functional perspective as well as in terms of variety. However, if I had unlimited resources I might turn it up a notch or two, ie, buy a B&M tobacconist shop and just keep the whole store to myself.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I also wear my special underwear and buy at least one pipe a year and keep it there.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Once you reach a saturation point, and I think most pipers get there eventually, it's not too difficult. I have enough pipes it is difficult for me to smoke most of them at least every 2 weeks. My philosophy is one shouldn't have more pipes-if you're a smoker not a collector-than you can smoke at least once every 2-4 weeks. Also helps if you really have few other pipes which really create cravings in you. The last pipe I bought earlier this year waa the last pipe I really had a craving for. Now, I might buy 1 more pipe in celebration of my retirement next spring when I'll be "free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, I'll be free at last." :P

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I resist PAD with my bank account. It almost drained up just for living day to day and paying my mortgage so I gladly resist it anyway :D

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
What is the PAD you speak of? Never heard of it.-NPOD
Neal, PAD is the acronym for Pipe Acquisition Disorder. It is my opinion that everyone should have that disorder.
Your friendly neighborhood eBay pipe seller,

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't lol. I've gone a bit crazy with pipe buying this year. I picked up two Sam Adebayos, two Pete Prevosts, a Silver Gray, a Scottie Piersel, a Scott Thile, a Ryan Alden, a Peterson horn stemmed silver spigot, plus a Peterson 2017 Christmas 999 shape and a Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2018 120 shape. I still plan on buying a Dr Bob hawkbill at the West Coast Show this weekend.
In my defense though I have also traded in about 15-20 pipes in order to acquire the other ones this year.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I wear my special underwear.-woodsroad
Woodsroad, seriously? I've met you at a pipe show and while I've never taken a peek under your britches (and for the record, it's not a temptation), but I just don't recall your belly being that flat. Just sayin' ...
Pipestud

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Woodsroad, seriously? I've met you at a pipe show and while I've never taken a peek under your britches (and for the record, it's not a temptation)
Perfect, Steve...perfect. That’s exactly what we agreed to say, if we ever got caught.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
All I have to do is look at my meager cellar, then read all the glowing reviews of tobacco on this site.
I then cross reference my bank account balance with the cost of whatever new pipe I'm pining over.

(it also makes it easier to figure how many lbs of tobacco I can buy for the price of that pipe I'm looking at)
Then, I read more about FDA deeming regulations.
Lastly, I just give in and buy both.

Status
Not open for further replies.