PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
Im getting into the tobaccos but i dont what is a good amount to have. And how do you keep/store it?
photobucket-4666-1357066779713.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
oldpops41,RUN...RUN FAST MY FRIEND,ITS MADDDDDNESSSS THIS TOBACCO HOARDING!! :crazy: :crazy:

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I don't really have much of a cellar. I do use Ball or Mason jars for things I'm not going to get to right away. I keep my OTCs in the original tubs and have a few back up tubs waiting. I've picked up those old brown ceramic cheese containers at Salvation Army and yard sales too.
il_170x135.307039865.jpg
They have a tight seal and are cool looking on the hutch (the jars are in the hutch). The dollar stores sell some nice sealable decorative jars too.
il_170x135.356787690_t03b.jpg
Great for tobacco you are working on and want to display.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I picked up some latching swing-top jars at IKEA a couple of weeks ago. The small ones hold 4 ounces just about perfectly, and they've got larger sizes that would probably do 8-12 oz no problem. Not as inexpensive as Mason jars, though.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
I buy quantity of blends I like and put them in canning jars from Walmart. The stuff I smoke everyday is in bags in a pipe tobacco dedicated humidor. I dry out a bowls worth overnight or for a few hours before smoking.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Mason jars are cheap and reliable. I first tried those like in your photo but one did not seal well and the plastic seal on two split after several months. I also found them harder to fill the pipe.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Mason jars are cheap and reliable. I first tried those like in your photo but one did not seal well and the plastic seal on two split after several months. I also found them harder to fill the pipe.
While I've yet to have one loose it's seal yet, I agree with you, re: the mason jars. That said, I like the apothecary look they give my pipe hutch, so I keep smaller amounts of my regular tobaccos in these, using the masons for longer term storage inside the hutch.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Mason Jars here across the board... even for short term storage. But I dont have mine on display, mine are tucked away under a nightstand where its easily accessible and it stays cool and dark.
Also I agree with rothnh... you can never have too much tobacco.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
all qt size wide mouth mason jars for anything going to the basement. tobacco in rotation usually the tin or whatever it came in or transferred to a zip-lock for travel.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
oldpops:
The only thing I'll add to the conversation is that it's best to keep your tobacco -- whatever kind of storage you use -- in a relatively cool and dark place. Heat (and, by extension, sunlight) will increase the rate at which your tobacco ages. Not so much of an issue if you're going to be smoking all of these open blends in a month or so. But for long-term storage (months and years), cool and dark is best.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is a pic of how I store my bulks,the clear plastic jars are bail top with silicone gaskets. I do not use rubber gaskets because I have had them go bad after a decade. The large jars like I have hold 2 pounds of bulk. The plastic containers on the bottom shelf are where I keep my open tins, they have a great seal and will keep them fresh for a couple of months or more.
I buy all my stuff at Walmart. I have many of those bail top jars on the top shelf of my closet where it is cool and dark. The ones in the pic are in my built in wall unit in my living room because I am running out of room in my closet. Walmart just began selling an even larger jar where I can store 5 pounds in each of them.
DSC09706.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Divide your bulk purchases into small Mason jars. Smoke from one and let the other jars remain sealed and perhaps, age.

I have several Official PipesMagazine.com Twin Canister Sets still available if you're interested.

Cannisters.jpg

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Just got 3 lbs of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake into 10 8oz wide mouth Ball mason jars. Into a box and stowed away someplace where I can hopefully forget about them.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Most always I leave tinned pipe tobaccos in their original tin. Bulk tobaccos I store in wide-mouth half-pint mason jars. I pack and press bulk tobaccos into the labeled jars & can usually get 4 oz. in a single half-pint jar. I don't do any special preparation with the jars, other than making sure they are clean and dry. I store the jars & tins in the basement in a cool, dark room. Have kept them that way for years, and they age beautifully.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I use glass jars for bulk, and for small amounts I keep it in the original pouch/tin/bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.