How Do You Estimate the Value of Your Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pipestud or Maxim at pipes2smoke. Both are good bench marks for me
The best answer. The tins are worth what people are willing to pay for them at the time you're selling. Too many variables to do something as simple and apply a math formula. From what I've seen, people aren't willing to pay much of a premium for aging for easily obtainable blends. Now someone might pay $50 for 10 year old Escudo or Wessex Campaign brigade but you're not likely to sell 10 tins for $500 to one buyer. In other words, people may pay a hefty premium to treat themselves to one tin but won't cough up big money so they can smoked the same aged tobacco for the next year. At the same time, the same person might pay stupid money for a fresh bag of Penzance or discontinued McClelland tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have tons of aged tins of the more popular flakes. If I were going to sell any, I would gouge people till their eyes were bleeding.

I would have no mercy and if pipestud wanted me to sell though him, he would have to get with the program. Knowing Steve like I do, he would balk at my plans for world domination.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Ebay is pretty much recognized as the price setter in today's world.-chilly65
Actually Mike, I don't think that's even close to true. Prices of vintage tobacco - I'm talking the same blends - are all over the map on eBay on any given day. A year 2010 100g tin of Frog Morton may sell for $125 one day and $50 the next. And of course, prices being asked on a lot of the Buy it Now stuff are so outlandish that they never sell and the seller gets roasted, toasted, basted and slaughtered in pipe groups such as this one. Again, whether private websites like mine, eBay, or private sellers on pipesmagazine.com, the bottom line is what most of the members here have been saying, which basically is - "a tin is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it." One day that may be $200 for a tin of brand-X and the next day the same brand-x sells for $50. In my opinion, the recognized price setter in today's world of vintage tobaccos is the buyer, John Q. Public. We sellers can establish the prices, but it's the buyers who, in the end, establish the value, and its obvious that the value is all over the map... depending simply on what the buyer is willing to pay, today.
Pipestud
PS... and yes, Harris, I'm too old to try to dominate the world anymore. It pretty much dominates me. )-:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Prices of vintage tobacco - I'm talking the same blends - are all over the map on eBay on any given day.
Truer word were never spoke. I've followed prices of McClelland blends on eBay and have seen the same blend sell for wildly different amounts on the same day.
Basic economics. Buyers set the price. Tobacco is a luxury item and vintage tobacco even more so. No one is being strong armed to pay a higher price for a tin of tobacco. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.