PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Tobaccoreviews can be your friend. Average rating at least 3.0 and a decent number of reviews has never disappointed. I always go for no more than 2oz, if I really like a blend I buy more and cellar it while going on with new tobaccos.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I look at reviews on tobaccoreviews.com (particularly JimInks) and also go on the advice and opinion of forum members. After a while you begin to recognize members who have similar taste/palate/preferences. That and experience with the blender's other stuff weigh in heavily.
This is pretty similar to my own methods.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lots of good replies here. I'd add only that often there's little correlation in how pleasant a tobacco smells and how pleasantly it smokes. But the strength test above is a good one.

Reactions: litup

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
I use three criteria: 1. No toppings (casings are okay) 2. Straight Virginias and/or Burleys only traditionally cured (no orientals, latakias, etc), 3. either sourced in the US, blended by or for a US company to support US businesses. Pretty simple.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
For every 20 tobacco’s I probably only like one I would buy again.
Reading some reviews I wonder if they are smoking something different.
I have my favourites and am likely not to try anymore.
It’s just too expensive to be disappointed.
However stumbled on Samuel Gawith Sliced brown And Sliced Black Twist Aromatic. It was worth waiting for.
Also Samuel Gawith Caribbean coconut is also great.
Beats E A Carey’s Sliced Black Twist and their Caribbean coconut by miles.
Just shows you!
But then Samuel Gawith full Virgina Flake was poor in my opinion and would not buy again.
Therefore are reviews helpful?
I suppose you have to try because you can’t try before buy. No samples any more.
Once you hit gold stick to it.

Reactions: burleyboy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I use three criteria: 1. No toppings (casings are okay) 2. Straight Virginias and/or Burleys only traditionally cured (no orientals, latakias, etc), 3. either sourced in the US, blended by or for a US company to support US businesses. Pretty simple.
So, you grow your own? :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Reputation (reviews, recommendations); trial and error, so you know the base tobaccos you like best, which condiments, flavoring if any; buy in small quantities for several years, as in an ounce or two, one tin, one pouch. Save (jar) the ones you like, but also the ones you don't to try in a year. Your tastes will change. Take your time. Don't get frantic. You'll dislike some of the crowd favorites; so what?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My decision is based on leaf type used and categorization as a non-aromatic. Even so, I still regret maybe half my trial purchases because what I'm really doing is buying ho-hum variations on a theme.

I should just stick with established benchmark blends, but the adventurer in me forces me to abandon self discipline. (cf. Einstein's definition of insanity.)

In retrospect, I could have had -- and would have been better off with -- a shitload of Escudo, rather than the olio of also-rans represented in my cellar.

Last edited:
Reactions: milehighpiper

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Whatever JimInks says, that's what we smoke. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. However sometimes I wait a few weeks just to enjoy the illusion of free will.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Whatever JimInks says, that's what we smoke. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. However sometimes I wait a few weeks just to enjoy the illusion of free will.

?

In all seriousness, I was going to recommend to first figure out which styles of tobacco you like, and then buy whatever blends people here speak well of that are in a style / genre of tobacco that you like. This forum really does have the hot takes on all things tobacco related.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I do a Tarot reading. One Card only. Then whether it’s a Fire, Water, Air, or Earth related card, go from there.

Fire= English/Balkan
Water= Aromatic or semi Aro
Air= Vaper/ Virginia
Earth= Strong Burley or VaperBurley

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
perdurabo I really hope you've taken your own advice (your namesakes' advice) and kept notes on what tins you bought after pulling what cards. I bet the 8 of cups one is one of those blends that sometimes hits the spot about half way down but doesn't start out strong.

Reactions: perdurabo

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
I have asked in the forums a few times for recommendations based on x y z flavor or profile - or similar to x blend - but darker - or lighter etc.

My favorite so far to date has been Seattle pipe club plumb pudding - Dark - Rich - deep flavor. It's my go too when I have a stressful day and just need something to help me chill.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Figure out what general family of tobacco you like. Consult Tobacco Reviews to see which in that category are highly rated. Buy a tin and form your own opinion. Use that to calibrate your tastes against the reviewers on TR and see who you’re most aligned with. Use that as a guide in the future.

You’ll still end up buying the occasional disappointment but that’s informative too.

Enjoy the hunt, it’s part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.