PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
I'm planning on getting another mid level pipe for myself, preferably in the $80-$140 range. I was looking into both Savinelli (which seems to be a respected brand) and Stanwell. I guess the question is how does Stanwell compare to Savinelli and other pipes at that price range?
For reference, I'm looking at these two at the moment.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/stanwell-army-mount-black-03-tobacco-pipe-smooth/

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/stanwell-nanna-ivarsson-brown-tobacco-pipe-sandblast/

If you like the style, any of the factory pipes make great smokers. I haven't heard anything negative about Stanwell. I have several of the older Danish made Stans, and the only negative I have heard is that people wish they hadn't' moved their operations. But, their prices dropped, so that seems to be a good thing.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I won a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson last summer. It's a great smoker, passes a pipe cleaner easily and came with both a churchwarden and a regular stem. I mainly use it with the shorter stem.
I find myself smoking mostly English or "Danish" blends.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I hate any Savinelli with a balsa filter. Old Stanwells are great pipes for the money. I haven't tried the Italian ones.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Some are good, some are bad. So they're a lot like most pipes.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have a couple if the newer Stanwell pipes, and love them. They are nicely finished, drilled and the draw is very good.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have a number of both Danish and Italian Stanwells - it's my favorite make. The newer, Italian-made Stanwells have been excellent smokers for me. (Though I am disappointed that they moved production.)

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I have several Italian made ones as well as several older Danish made ones. All of mine are good smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own any Danish-made Stanwells, and I didn't get an Italian-made for quite a while, but the three I bought when i finally did are fine, nice open draws, well finished, and good clenchers. If you like a compact pipe of traditional design, the straight bulldog shape 32 is a classic, and the Iversson designed pot is also unique. I also own a Canadian. But any of the Stanwells is likely to prove durable and good-smoking. I have the same general good report on Savenelli pipes. So between those two, whichever you choose, you will probably do fine.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Stanwell is one of my two everyday smoking pipes. It's an inexpensive featherweight, but it's my favorite briar I have. I prefer it over my Petersons for smoking.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The newer Stanwells are great pipes, but I think they only come with acrylic stems, if that matters to you. By the way, that second Stanwell posted (the Nanna Ivarsson design) is made to use a filter.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Often I start by thinking I want a particular shape, a bulldog or poker for example. Then I choose the maker who executes that shape to my liking. For instance, I prefer the Stanwell 32 to the Savinelli 504. I'm sure both pipes are pretty good smokers, it's just a matter of which one do you want to be seen with.

Reactions: Papamique

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I bought two unsmoked Danish made estate stanwells. One smoked wet as heck until it had a good cake, it also had a small fissue in the bowl that needed pipe mudding but now it's an ok smoker, the second is a good smoker.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had older ones and then I have four of their newer,Italian make collection(Royal Guard and Dukes) each and everyone of these were and are great smoking pipes with no flaws whatsoever, yet stem fitting/finishing are performed amazingly well,airflow & draw s open, so the value for the money Is hard to beat,

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Thanks for all your input guys. I think I'll go ahead and put in the order for one of the stanwells i've had my eye on.

duffer

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
I have a Stanwell Royal Danish. Research shows it to be a lower end Stanwell. Somebody forgot to tell it. It smokes really well. Looks great and has a nice straight grain. Buffed up beautifully. I will by more Stanwell 's

Status
Not open for further replies.