PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
With everyone carrying tablets and smart phones, I thought it would be cool it PM would create a mobile version of the magazine--then you wouldn't constantly have to expand the screen, find out what's new in the hobby, see who the newest pipe babe is, etc. Thoughts, gentlemen?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I don't have a smart phone or a tablet and will avoid it as long as possible. I guess that's my two cents.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The existing format works fine from my phone. Everytime I get on here is from it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't have a problem with my ipad or iphone. Except that it won't keep me logged in from my iPhone for some reason.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've been wanting to ask about mobile-optimization for the forums in particular, but wasn't sure how to go about that. I've seen how some other forums render on smartphones and they look a loooooooot smoother and easier to use on a small touch screen.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
This has been discussed before, and usually gets shot down, but I'd LOVE a mobile version of the forum. I virtually never log on to a computer anymore after work, phone/ipad is great.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Unless your device really sucks, you should be seeing the same thing as on a desktop browser. If you're using a tiny screen.... maybe that's the wrong device to use for reading forums.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
deathmetal, it is the same thing as the desktop version, and that's the problem. If you have a chance try navigating to the puff.com forums on your smart phone. It's a great example of a mobile-optimized forum. Pipes Mag is the only forum I regularly frequent so I'd love to have it improve on my phone!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've brought this up as well. I was jumped on. This is an old fashioned bunch, generally speaking. Those of us into tech are a minority.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I've wondered the same thing. I've gone on the site with my phone, but I try and avoid it as much as I can because of the poor mobile user experience. I work for a web development / digital marketing agency, and all sites we build include a responsive mobile version as it has become standard necessity since the number of mobile users are overtaking desktop ones. On top of that, one of Google's newest updates has started penalizing websites that are not mobile friendly. This is the direction the digital world is headed, you can fight it all you want, but it will end up hurting the site in the long run.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I can't think of a single site on the Interwebs that looked better or was easier to navigate after "Mobile-izing" itself. Quite the opposite, in fact. Tiles and pictures instead of words is literally going backwards---Man invented language in the first place because cave paintings weren't up to the task.
In short, I despise that shit. Hate it with a passion. :evil:
If Kevin switches this board out, I will drive to Florida, kidnap him, tie him up, and force him to drink plastic-bottle rack bourbon and smoke White Owl cigars non-stop for a week.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I can't think of a single site on the Interwebs that looked better or was easier to navigate after "Mobile-izing" itself. Quite the opposite, in fact. Tiles and pictures instead of words is literally going backwards
I'm unsure of which examples you are talking about, but making a mobile version of a website does not mean having tiles and pictures. Is this the experience you have when you go to eBay.com, target.com, or pipesandcigars.com on your phone? None of those sites have "tiles and pictures" format you are mentioning, but they are all mobile versions of their desktop site that are easier to navigate and more enjoyable to use than seeing what I normally see on my desktop on my phone, which results in the user having to zoom in and out to read text, see pictures and navigate the site.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Those of us into tech are a minority.
Interestingly, most of the people I know who are "into tech" have abandoned the smartphone revolution in favor of more capable, configurable machines.
Phones/tablets are managed gardens unless you want to jailbreak and spend a lot of time fiddling with the thing.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I would love to see this forum with a simple copy paste for photos. Tapatalk works reasonably well.
In any case this is great forum. No complaints. I'm just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.